installing a log burner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm thinking of changing my current gas fire to a log burner as i have access to logs galore at work and seeing as the cost of gas is going through the roof over here i thought i would look into it.

I would be getting a professional to fit it etc, but was just wondering if it could be swapped as easy as it sounds or are there alterations to be made.

Any idea of cost for this?

Thanks, David.

I can't help you with a cost estimate, but I do know that many gas fireplaces were made for gas and not solid fuel.I think you'll need a flu size of at least 6"x6" in order to burn wood.It will need to have clay liner, or,alternately,you can install a steel flex liner.An open fire is nice, but to get any real heat you will want to have a stove or a insert installed.These are airtight units that are efficient and much cleaner than an open fire.Cost in the U.S $3,500-$5,000 for stove,liner and installation.Good luck.

thanks my friend, it is definately something i am going to look into, it seems silly to be paying for gas when i have all the fuel i need at work.

Back