Installing throttle cable on vermeer 665a stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought an older vermeer 665a stump grinder with a 65hp wisconsin diesel engine. There was no throttle cable on it and the original part was no longer available so, I ordered an after-market cable from vermeer by phone order. I specifically asked for installation instructions but received none with the part. The cable is very long and I can't figure out just where to snake it so it doesn't get tangled up as the machine swings from side to side. And I don't want to cut it off until I know how to mount it to the throttle.

I'm not a great mechanic so I'll try to provide more details so you can understand the situation: On this machine, the engine throttle lever is pulled towards the operator's station to increase rpms. This pulls against a heavy internal spring in the engine. To return to a low idle, you simple let go of the throttle lever and it returns back towards what appears to be a throttle mount on the side opposite of the operator.

To mount the throttle on the opposite side would mean pushing against the spring. While the throttle cable sleave is rather stout, the throttle wire isn't all that big so, I'm doubting that it can push on the throttle without bending. It looks to me like it needs to pull on the throttle but I don't see a mount on that side of the engine.

I suppose I could make a mount on the operator side of the engine but, before I do so, can anyone with a 665A or similar machine give me your take on this? A photo or drawing from a maintenance manual would be especially of help but any suggestions would be appreciated.

No one around my town works on these machines so I can't just pop in at the local repair shop and ask them how to do it.

Thanks.

Correction: perkins NOT wisconsin diesel

Sorry, I had wisconsin gas engines on the brain. The aforementioned engine is a perkins diesel (65hp).

i have a rayco 1665 ac i built mine with a throttle handle and a small peice of cable works really good, vermeer can't fax you over a manual ? they should be able to have the shop mechanic draw you a diagram. how far are you from annapolis or laurel md there is dealers there.

Funny how things install easier when you have the right part...

As I mentioned in my previous thread, I had Winsconsin motors on my brain. Apparently, so did the local Vermeer dealer. The reason I was having so much trouble with the throttle cable is because the one they sent me is intended for use on a wisconsin gas engine.

They have since sent me the throttle cable for a diesel engine - much beefier and heavy enough to either pull or push on the engine throttle.

Anyhow, got it installed now so, no need for further replies. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back