Is it necessary to clean chimney before insert install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to be having an Enerzone 2.3I insert installed and it was recommended to me that I have the chimney swept prior to install. Why is this? Anybody have experience with Enerzone inserts

Rusty

Probably just a safety precaution. Start out with a clean and inspected flue. Sounds like a smart thing to do, that way if your flue does need repair or re-lining, you can get that out of the way from the beginning.

Ian

Probably just a safety precaution. Start out with a clean and inspected flue. Sounds like a smart thing to do, that way if your flue does need repair or re-lining, you can get that out of the way from the beginning.

Ian
Today 08:48 PM

+1
That is what was recomended to me when we put our insert in. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

I didn't have my chimney cleaned prior to getting my insert installed. In my opinion, the way they manhandle that new flex liner thru the flue, any major stuff will be knocked down the flue when they pull the liner up thru it.

I would. If there is any buildup behind it, I wouldn't chance it. Better safe than sorry.

The reason the chimney needs to be swept is to reduce the possibility of the creosote being ignited. Obviously the risk is reduced if the liner is insulated. We actually had a fire due to the old creosote being ignited by the heat of the (uninsulated) liner. I frequently run my stove around 600 degrees. The guy who installed my new liner put it best..........

Creosote = Fuel

Period

Back