Is my Alder a hazard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a cert. arborist, but have cut down many thousands of alders between Seattle and Mt St. Helens over the last 40 years.

The pix was of one of the best looking alders I've ever seen for a 'yard tree', assuming the top is healthy.

Look at the top. If caterpillars have ever nested in the top in one of the caterpillar cycles you will have dead tops. If any of the tops are not a profuse healthy green, you can still keep the tree, just dont let your kids or grandkids play under it.

The 'real arborists' will croak, but I've 'saved' a couple of the alders with dead tops in my back yard for a few years by banging the backhoe bucket high against the trunk, which breaks off the dead top, which then bounces off the FOPS sometimes!

There are a LOT of semi-clear cut developments going on near me (Renton) and most are required to leave some 'native' space. Seems 70% of the alders in those spaces die within a couple of years, dead tops first.

Latest posts

Back