Is sharpener vise tilt necessary ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This was brought up once before but I don't no if it was answered , Whats up with the 10 degree tilt ?? Is it really necessary , I sharpened my first chain ( .325 ) without it and it cut really good , I forgot about the tilt . If its needed I will try it .

This was brought up once before but I don't no if it was answered , Whats up with the 10 degree tilt ?? Is it really necessary , I sharpened my first chain ( .325 ) without it and it cut really good , I forgot about the tilt . If its needed I will try it .

Following is a part of a quote from a couple of weeks ago.
I believe you had posted in this same thread.

A local Stihl dealer told me a while ago, that the tilt is no longer as important as it used to be. I haven't used it in over a year. Haven't really noticed much difference, and it is a lot quicker sharpening chains.

I use tilt on every chain and they all cut like new. I also use 35 deg on chisel/rsc and 30 deg on semi, may not be right but are chains cut fast and hold an edge for the day assuming you dont hit the ground.

Depends on how much built in tilt is on the top plate of the cutters. If you match the tilt of the file or stone to the top plate you will get the same cutting edge steepness all the way across from point to heel. I find it easier to eyeball the top plate angle if I match the file tilt to the top plate tilt. On a grinder it makes a difference depending on how you dress your stone (like whether you are sharpening the top plate with the side of the wheel or part of the rounded edge). You can wind up with a quite blunt cutting angle near the trailing edge of the top plate with some combinations.

Depends on how much built in tilt is on the top plate of the cutters. If you match the tilt of the file or stone to the top plate you will get the same cutting edge steepness all the way across from point to heel. I find it easier to eyeball the top plate angle if I match the file tilt to the top plate tilt. On a grinder it makes a difference depending on how you dress your stone (like whether you are sharpening the top plate with the side of the wheel or part of the rounded edge). You can wind up with a quite blunt cutting angle near the trailing edge of the top plate with some combinations.

Makes sence, on shorter chains I dress the wheel at a angle so the wheel can get deep enough so the side of wheel the hits the face of the tooth. Steve

OK , I'm talking about the woodland pro 22 NK , Its considered semi- chisel chain , so I would assume it should have the 10 degree tilt angle . Everyone agree ?

Back