Is the wood still good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamcbrayer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I cut down three yellow pines about 70' to 100' tall back in October. Doesn't rain a whole lot down here in Georgia. Are the logs salvagable for me to sell to my local mill?

I cut down three yellow pines about 70' to 100' tall back in October. Doesn't rain a whole lot down here in Georgia. Are the logs salvagable for me to sell to my local mill?

kamcbrayer:

I think that's a two part question.

1) Are the logs salvagable? ... They should be. Here in Central Virginia, I've milled pines that have been on the ground for a year and recovered a lot of good wood. Actually better than most hardwoods that have been down that long.

2) To sell to the local mill? ... That's a question that only the mill can answer. Around here, the sawmills tend to specialize in particular species and end products. Some only want low grade logs for railroad ties, others want furniture grade. In most cases, the cost of transporting the logs to the mill is more than what they'll pay for them.

Your situation may be different, so I'd ask the mill. They may or may not be short of pine right now.

Ed

Around here the mill won't buy them unless you have a havest plan or a 3 acre conversion filed by a registered professional forester.

If you want to hire a small mill operater to come onto your property and mill them or mill them yourself around here you don't need squat and you get some fine wood out of the deal.

Around here pine typically sells to the mill for less then the loggers want to charge to fall it and haul it to the mill.. Last time I sold any to the mill it was around $250 per thousand for small diameter and around $350 per thousand for larger diameter pine. The loggers around here typically want $300 to $350 to fall and haul it to the mill. IE pine is WORTHLESS. Now big diameter cedar was $650-700 per thousand at the mill last time I sold any.

Latest posts

Back