Is this cylinder still usuable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't have a picture for you, so I will try my best to describe the situation the best I can. The crank bearings went bad in my uncles 2145, the one I just fixed for him after he ran it too lean, and now he wants to fix it again. The piston is toast, looks like the surface of mars with all of the debris damage. The cylinder has some damage on the dome of the cylinder. There is a ring circling the spark plug hole on the edge with little pot marks. The area around the spark plug hole is fine, and so are the cylinder walls. The saw was only run for about 30 minutes before it went bad, I should have checked it out before I put it back together the first time, oh well live and learn. Have any of you seen a cylinder like I am describing, and were you able to use it? Thanks in advance.

I will try to get some pictures, I am home for the holiday so it may be a while.

If only the dome is damaged ,try to remove the biggest spot .Be sure to remove if there is some,steel metal parts from bearing cage.The dome is aluminum,so its quite easy to repair.If the cyl wall is ok,i would give it a shot to rebuild.

Sounds like lower rod bearing gave way and parts came up through transfer ports. Make sure no parts stuck in head portion of cylinder and grind any sharp edges smooth. If wall of Cyl is O.K. I'd try it with a new piston/rings. make sure nothing got caught on the edge of a port too where a ring might get caught.

Latest posts

Back