Issue with Stihl 076 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_M0822

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was ripping with my Stihl 076 AV when about 20 seconds into the cut the saw made some pops and then stopped on its own. The sawdust was really fine like from a power tool not the big chips from a chainsaw. The bar oil and mixed fuel was freshly filled. The chain was recently sharpened. I put in a new spark plug. The old one was all brown (is that bad). I started it just fine and let it idle for a bit. Then when I started cutting the same thing happened. I need help. I am not a great mechanic and need the saw for a downed maple tree that I’m getting payed to buck up. IMG_4891.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like dull chain for starters, which it's self is very hard on the saw, even though you said it's been sharpened. Finer sawdust doesn't come from a properly sharpened chain.
What mix ratio are you using?Ripping is very hard on a chainsaw especially with a chain the is not sharpened properly. You should be using fresh gas with good oil at what i prefer a 32:1 ratio
Pull the muffler to inspect what your piston looks like.
Your old plug looks OK, what kind of plug did you use?

Sounds like dull chain for starters, which it's self is very hard on the saw, even though you said it's been sharpened. Finer sawdust doesn't come from a properly sharpened chain.
What mix ratio are you using?Ripping is very hard on a chainsaw especially with a chain the is not sharpened properly. You should be using fresh gas with good oil at what i prefer a 32:1 ratio
I am 100% sure that the saw was sharp. The only think I can think of is if I hit a rock when I started the cut. It doesn’t make sense though because when I filed the teeth again they were still very sharp and had been grinded recently.
I know ripping is hard on the saw except it’s been used for ripping for ling before my time and has a ton of torque.
I use a 45:1. It’s inbetween the 40:1 that Stihl used to recommend and 50:1 that they recommend now. Would I want more oil for the saw when is being worked hard?
I can’t recall what plug I used but will check when I can.
I’ll look at the piston when I can next too. What should I be looking for?

Could the fine dust be the rakers are too high? I was not using a ripping chain. I was trying to mill Atlas Cedar which down not seem all that hard. It still doesn’t make sense because even when my 194 was dull with untouched stock rakers it would give big chips.

The rakers could be to high.Sharpening a chain should include the rakers
Look for scoring on the piston.
I would increase the oil and tune acorndingly if the piston is good
Post a picture of the chain if you get a chance.

If you have had the saw for a while you should be able to tell from feel if the compression is normal.

No fun getting a look at the piston on those, but it may come to that.

An inline spark tester would solve one part of the puzzle if you can get access to one.
I will see what I can do with the spark tester.
The compression is as good as ever.
Thanks for the help.

Back