It won't run!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK serious bit of an anti-climax here... I just finished swapping the 076 P&C (new piston after light cylinder hone) onto the 051 crankcase. I put a new oiler worm seal in but left eh other seals. All new Stihl gaskets. Spark is strong. But it will only start and run with fuel tipped down the throat. When this runs out, it dies.

The 076 (MTX.45) was running ok before I pulled them down. So the carb's ok. I didn't replace the other 2 crank seals, they both felt supple and didn't look deformed. But when I blow into the impulse line, it doesn't resist me and I can hear it 'hissing' into the crankcase and doesn't seem to get harder. Surely a seal couldn't be this bad? I guess I should get it pressure tested but that means taking it to a dealer or going down the route of making/buying one. Maybe I should just replace the crank seals to be sure?

Anyone any ideas, things I could have missed?

ok, swapped the carb again to the known good one and...

IT'S ALIVE! Run's damn well, revs up, idles nice n even. Now I need to put it in some wood! On the weekend that is. Thanks guys

Harry - if you need parts for your MTX.45 there is an 076 on BiN for eighty odd quid....

Hah! Me too. I was lining up a mate to pick it up, he agreed, but by the time I got back to ebay, it was gone.

I saw it this morning, thought of your rail saw thing, and posted the message. 070s are my thing, not 076s. Over the course of the day it chewed at me, and I decided to get it...but it was gone. :chainsaw:

yeah I emailed the seller and he agreed to box it up for a courier. Damnit, shoulda known better than to leave a good BiN auction, at least it stopped me getting it... All I want is a good P&C. Honest ;)

ok, swapped the carb again to the known good one and...

IT'S ALIVE! Run's damn well, revs up, idles nice n even. Now I need to put it in some wood! On the weekend that is. Thanks guys

076 on an 051? Is that some kind of super monster hybrid? Sounds like fun.

Any day cutting wood is a good day, no matter what else happens

076 on an 051? Is that some kind of super monster hybrid? Sounds like fun.

Any day cutting wood is a good day, no matter what else happens

Well it's really just an 076 now, as the only difference between the two is the P&C. Essentially anyway...

Cut a fair bit with it this w/e, (alongside milling with the 056, see thread in milling section) and it's pretty good. Was running a 25" hard nose with 404 chain. Powered through the wood damn quick. I've got a 36" sprocket nose but waiting for chain from Baileys.

I reckon I need to rune it though, starting can be a minor pain, and I reckon it could be a touch more punchy. Maybe the new rings need to bed in still. But anyone got any pointers on tuning this saw? It's got a rev limiter so I think it needs to be done in the wood. Got both screws a turn out at the mo...

before I came to AS I had just the 024, now:
Image001-1.jpg

and the MTX.45, but it leant its ignition to the 076, anyone know where an aftermarket ignition is? Seem to be hard to find in UK

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back