I've just been approached about going shares in a yarder!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwilogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sheesh. I dunno what to say. I have just had a phone call from a logger I know who has just bought the hauler (yarder) I learnt to drive on. A thunderbird tty45. He is going to start a crew doing small blocks mainly, he has 2 years work contracted ahead.

He just asked me if I want to come and drive the hauler. Good wages (equal to my current boss) with some kind of share deal so that I end up with a 1/3 share of the hauler after 2 years.

It is an old hauler, but still a very useful machine, all new ropes, new drum sets, reconditioned Cummins 903. New cab, paint job, 2 new track motors.

BUT. I have an awesome job, with a proven company who want to teach me stuff. Pretty good wages, and a good boss.

Its a dilema!

Thoughts invited.......

I think that I would want to go for it too. Do other small outfits seem to make it over there, or is there a lot of competion even for the small tracts? Can you hire a good experienced crew?
Just dont burn the bridge with your current employer and they would probably hire you back if it didnt work out. Good donkey punchers are'nt a dime a dozen.

The small outfits are not generally hauler crews. Mainly skidders and tractors doing groundbased stuff. So, I would think there is a niche there for a hauler crew that can "up n go" easily. The old 45 is nice to move, a fairly compact machine, you don't have to take the tower off to put it on a truck.

Export wood prices have risen hugely lately, and I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security by that. My 1 3rd share of the hauler would be around 100,000 by the time you buy a decent backline tractor, some rope blocks and rigging. I would not like to go into it unless that could be paid off in 2 years. Too risky otherwise.

I am interested, and will wait to see the figures this guy brings back to me.

Re: burning bridges with my current boss. I don't think they would mind someone leaving to have a crack on their own, and I would be fairly sure a position would be made available for me should the need arise for me to go back. The company I work for are pretty good people. They own 4 haulers now, and are just importing a 90 ft Thunderbird from the US now. They have 3 forwarder crews, and 2 other groundbased skidder/tractor crews. They are the biggest outfit in NZ. Sheesh, my boss just gave me a payrise too! lol.

where are you based? Im up in northland working for harvest pro .

I'm in Northland too. I work for Rosewarnes, in the Waipu Forest. Are you up in Matauri Bay? I nearly applied for hauler drivers job up there a while ago. Still got John Ellis's number here somewhere! Are you guys in good wood up there? Our wood is reasonable at the moment, around 2 tonne piece size. Absolute cream! Haven't had the sky out in ages! We're scabbing everything. Excellent height, short pulls, we're doing 40 loads every week!! Boss knocks us off at 2 on fridays when we pull target. Which is only 33-35 loads, too easy in the cream we have!

What do you do in the crew? I either drive the hauler or am the logmaker. Starting to learn the loader too.

Small world huh!

:hmm3grin2orange:

john is my father in law i mainly log make but can brake out and also learning the loader We are back in omahuta tomorrow it 2.8 pruners so yep really nice wood been in matauri bay just for the holidays

Hello kiwi loggers!

I used to breakout for Carroll Skyline Logging,Madill 171,I worked with Rhys for a bit after he moved to Northland.I logged in Canada a couple of times,good to hear the Kiwi logger is alive and well.:cheers:

Back