Jd 440c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cletuspsc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I gotta put a new head gasket on the 440 tomorow. But i have no book on it and was wonderin if any one knows the torq specs. on the head bolts.

I gotta put a new head gasket on the 440 tomorow. But i have no book on it and was wonderin if any one knows the torq specs. on the head bolts.

I did a head gasket on a 540B a while back and we had differing opinions, even called the dealer.

one of them was oil the bolts and go to 100 ft/lbs.

another was 125ft/lbs and then 1/4 of a turn.

my best suggestion would be to call an equipment dealer with the serial number of your motor and they can tell you.

if you don't have a local dealer post the info and i can do it for you or direct you in the right direction.

Yea a 100ftlbs was what i though whas right. I do have a local JD dealer I was gonna try tomorow but I have a less than friendly relationship with them (grew up in a IH family pullin against their JD's). the serial # off the motor is 417777-T

OH YEA. . . .Do you know what 4 bolt are the 4 that are the short ones and where they go. I was told that there are 4 that are one or two thread difference in lenght than the others. im assuming they are the ones that go in the front left corner near the water pump but im not shure. I think this is the reason the head gasket went in the first place. Did that 540B have the 4276-T motor in it, cause then it would be the same as mine.

this is what i have. but we didn't use the 95 ft/lbs. we went up to 120 in 3 stages. depending on which gasket i would not use any gasket sealer, i was told tha the new style gaskets do not need to sealer

this is what i have. but we didn't use the 95 ft/lbs. we went up to 120 in 3 stages. depending on which gasket i would not use any gasket sealer, i was told tha the new style gaskets do not need to sealer

Thanks man thats perfect.

Back