Jred 111S base gasket height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My [attempted] repair of my uncles siezed Jred 111S is drawing closer (used good used P&C). But I need a base gasket, and assume it's not worth trying a dealer. Can anyone guess or even better tell me exactly what thickness gasket to use?

Measure the squish with solder and no gasket.

It has been a while but I seem to remember the S ran around .035 or so stock....

I can't recall the last time I saw a base gasket for a 111 as very few remained stock that I ever worked on.

I can dig around and see if I might have one somewhere

Measure the squish with solder and no gasket.

It has been a while but I seem to remember the S ran around .035 or so stock....

I can't recall the last time I saw a base gasket for a 111 as very few remained stock that I ever worked on.

I can dig around and see if I might have one somewhere
jee if you foujd one that would be awesome... Not looking to jack it up or anything, just want to it run right - is there really no other way.

For squish you drop a couple of blobs of solder through the sparkplug hole, and give it a slow pull with the jug bolted with no gasket right? Then how do you decide the gasket?

jee if you foujd one that would be awesome... Not looking to jack it up or anything, just want to it run right - is there really no other way.

For squish you drop a couple of blobs of solder through the sparkplug hole, and give it a slow pull with the jug bolted with no gasket right? Then how do you decide the gasket?
How much should the squish be? How do I decide the base gasket height after measuring? If I just whacked a 0.5mm gasket in what would happen?

How much should the squish be? How do I decide the base gasket height after measuring? If I just whacked a 0.5mm gasket in what would happen?

Go ahead, try the 0.5mm gasket and measure the squish, if it comes to 0.9mm (0.035") then go with that if you are happy, I'd say you could go somewhere between 0.6mm and 0.9mm.

Remember to check squish on at least the front and back at the same time, if you just measure one point front or back, the piston will tilt inside the cylinder and your squish will seem less. Four points is best, you can place four small cuts of solder on top of your piston and use a small dab of grease to keep them in place, install your cylinder then give it a crank, disassemble and measure the solder depth.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58455 is a good read for making different depth base gaskets to suit and I can vouch for the Copper Silicone spray method.

I'd take this approach. Before going to the trouble to make a gasket, I'd leave the rings off the piston and bolt the jug down and see whe the squish is with out it. Then you'll have a lot better idea where you need to go. I wouldn't be worried about getting it a little tighter than stock as long as it's at least .020-.025. You're not going to affect any of your port timing enough to worry about it. Just don't go any thinner than that and you'll have no problems.

Go ahead, try the 0.5mm gasket and measure the squish, if it comes to 0.9mm (0.035") then go with that if you are happy, I'd say you could go somewhere between 0.6mm and 0.9mm.

Remember to check squish on at least the front and back at the same time, if you just measure one point front or back, the piston will tilt inside the cylinder and your squish will seem less. Four points is best, you can place four small cuts of solder on top of your piston and use a small dab of grease to keep them in place, install your cylinder then give it a crank, disassemble and measure the solder depth.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58455 is a good read for making different depth base gaskets to suit and I can vouch for the Copper Silicone spray method.
OK, sounding good. How much is a few thou going to affect the performence of this? Could it be worse than stock?
I'd take this approach. Before going to the trouble to make a gasket, I'd leave the rings off the piston and bolt the jug down and see whe the squish is with out it. Then you'll have a lot better idea where you need to go. I wouldn't be worried about getting it a little tighter than stock as long as it's at least .020-.025. You're not going to affect any of your port timing enough to worry about it. Just don't go any thinner than that and you'll have no problems.
ok, will try this first. But will a saw this age be able to take extra compression?

So you just use fresh solder - not melted blobs? (if so how do you get them?)

Fresh solder. Make sure you use the soft electrical solder. the plumbing stuff is WAY too hard. If anything, I would expect it to help performance. Compression should jump slightly and intake timing will advance slightly. You'll loose a little transfer timing but .020" less squish is only equal to about 1* timing from what I've seen.

Back