Just joined.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. Just joined. Was reading threads on the Wayne chuck'n ducks. Have one I've used for years. Been doing tree work a long time, good at some things, many things not so experienced at.

Was in my local arborist supply today and don't know what half the stuff on the shelves is. Been relying on my Blake's for years. Too old to learn all the new stuff. Or afford it.

Guess I'll try starting a thread, maybe.

Take 'er easy.

Hello. Just joined. Was reading threads on the Wayne chuck'n ducks. Have one I've used for years. Been doing tree work a long time, good at some things, many things not so experienced at.

Was in my local arborist supply today and don't know what half the stuff on the shelves is. Been relying on my Blake's for years. Too old to learn all the new stuff. Or afford it.

Take 'er easy.
Sounds like your potential for knowledge and growth aren't there because of your mental attitude against modernizing your techniques. Someone younger and more open minded will be along shortly to force you out of work. Best of luck in retirement.

Take 'er easy.

I'm guessing this is your climbing system?

NOTE: there are MUCH better knots to put on your carabiner than the clove hitch used in the video above. I prefer an anchor hitch or a double-overhand noose (best, IMO), but there are others as well that remain much more secure than a clove hitch.

Give up on the Blake's hitch, and start using a split-tail system. This doesn't work any differently than the Blake's hitch you were using, except that it is easier to use and safer, too.

When I say "split tail", this means that each side of your doubled rope is attached separately to the climbing harness. When you need to go around a branch on the tree, it can be done quickly and safely, without retying your knot. Just unclip the ropes, toss them over the branch you wish to get around, then re-clip. Be sure you fix your safety on first!

Now you can just use a section of rope and tie your Blake's hitch separately from the tie in to the descending line, but just isn't as slick as using one of the more progressive hitches typically done with what is called prussic cord. They are just a lot easier to slide up and down on, and are usually made out of more heat & friction resistant rope.

This is exactly what I climb on, and even that is considered rather "old school".

Making the change to a newer system will only cost you for a pulley and a prussic cord, which isn't a big expense considering how much you will like it when you try it. Consider using a bunch of different friction hitches other than the VT, though, as each hitch has quirks that some prefer over the other. Use our search feature, and you can get mountains of advice on any climbing fixture you are curious about.

Best video I've found for showing the various prussic loop hitches:

Although... He isn't tying a true Valdetaine. He's tying a Valdetaine tresse, which is just a bit different. I think only the mountain climbers use the simple Valdetain, which is just seven wraps and then you are done.

Sounds like your potential for knowledge and growth aren't there because of your mental attitude against modernizing your techniques. Someone younger and more open minded will be along shortly to force you out of work. Best of luck in retirement.
Not sure about his attitude but I a can almost assure you that someone younger and more open minded won't show up. Can't seem to get them (woke) away from their xboxes or cell phones. jmho :cool: OT

Not sure about his attitude but I a can almost assure you that someone younger and more open minded won't show up. Can't seem to get them (woke) away from their xboxes or cell phones. jmho :cool: OT
May have a fewcome along, but their so open minded their brains have fallen out 😆. There are many good kids out there, real good kids, unfortunately that used to be the norm.

Take 'er easy.
Welcome sir.
Hope you stop back by again sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back