Just Started Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaming-ace

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just started milling :)

Got myself an alaskan mill and a nice big saw, im lovin it :D

At the moment using a sachs dolamar 153 (100cc) running a 25" bar going to use a 36" on some oak soon.

Been milling some cyprus recently,

n619337039_2722013_4545320.jpg

n619337039_2722017_7065080.jpg

Thanks

Hello everyone,
I have just started milling :)
Got myself an alaskan mill and a nice big saw, im lovin it :D

Hello flaming-ace.
Nice setup and real good looking looking timber you have there!

I know the other guys will groan when they hear this (again!) but I'm getting a sore back and knees looking at your pics. You must be a young fella ;)

If you want to keep milling for many years read this post by woodshop, or this one by me, or do a search with "knees" in the search field and you will see a number of threads in which milling positions are discussed.

One of the quickest ergonomic improvement you can make is to add a couple of handles higher up on your mill and saw at the positions marked by the green lines and add a cable tie to the the throttle handle that you can slip over the trigger.
attachment.php

This straightens your back and brings your arms closer together so you can straighten your arms - this significantly increases operator comfort level, especially on long logs. Being an older fella this is what works for me and I don't end up getting a work out except for when I have to move the slabs :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Glad your enjoying it!!!

Thanks for postin pics!! Looks to be some nice lumber your going to have....
I have so much to learn,,I been readin,,searching,,and still alot to learn about... :cheers:

Hello flaming-ace.
Nice setup and real good looking looking timber you have there!

I know the other guys will groan when they hear this (again!) but I'm getting a sore back and knees looking at your pics. You must be a young fella ;)

If you want to keep milling for many years read this post by woodshop, or this one by me, or do a search with "knees" in the search field and you will see a number of threads in which milling positions are discussed.

One of the quickest ergonomic improvement you can make is to add a couple of handles higher up on your mill and saw at the positions marked by the green lines and add a cable tie to the the throttle handle that you can slip over the trigger.
attachment.php

This straightens your back and brings your arms closer together so you can straighten your arms - this significantly increases operator comfort level, especially on long logs. Being an older fella this is what works for me and I don't end up getting a work out except for when I have to move the slabs :hmm3grin2orange:
ah nice, thanks for the info, will read up about that soon!

flaming ace, please tell us about that plate on the mill. I've never seen one before. What is its purpose.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Yeah i have no idea what its for, it came with the mill, just followed the instruction when putting it together, but im gunna take it off its pissing me off, like when i adjust the height (nearest the saw) its a pain to lossen the bolts cus thats in the way.

flaming-ace
Looking real good there! welcome aboard, I'm a newbie to this also. What Bob said, is the first thing that crossed my mind. Looks like sore knees & back to me also. But then, I'm gettin to be an old fart anyways I guess, 55. Enjoyed the pics!

Gregg

The clear plate is supposed to be some sort of a guard. I considered putting something like that on my mills but because I touch up the chain on the mill it would just just get in the way.

Last edited:
The clear plate is supposed to be some sort of a guard. I considered putting something like that on my mills but because I touch up the chain on the mill it would just just get in the way.
yeah i've found its getting in the way for me...

Latest posts

Back