Killing Black Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babalu87

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have Black Locust that are growing on my septic systems leeching field. I cut them and they grow back damn near as fast as I cut them. Is there a permanent method to get rid of them? I would love to let some grow for firewood but having anything like that growing on my leeching field cant be good. It is the only place on my 6 acres they grow.

They love a moist soil

You need to cut them down and then treat the stump with roundup right after they are cut. If you don't kill the stump they just resprout.

Is the ground where the leach field swampy or very wet and the rest of your six acres is dry? Maybe you have a leak in the leach field line. With the way the black locust (thorns?) produce seed pods you would expect them to be every where if the soil conditions were consistent throughout.

Brian

I have Black Locust that are growing on my septic systems leeching field. I cut them and they grow back damn near as fast as I cut them. Is there a permanent method to get rid of them? I would love to let some grow for firewood but having anything like that growing on my leeching field cant be good. It is the only place on my 6 acres they grow.

Treat the stump sapwood with Roundup as soon as you cut it down. Any sprouts that appear, spray with Roundup.

I removed a big one in my backyard two years ago. I make a regular patrol looking for shoots as they are coming up a good 20 ft away from the stump.
I carry the spray bottla and a hunk of cardboard to slip around the stem of the shoots.

Harry K

Yes, Roundup

but full strength, not RTU (ready to use). Paint it onto the stump immediately after cutting it down. It won't come back.

Thanks for the tips, I will try it when this weather breaks. I sure would like to have them growing anywhere else, I know they are GREAT firewood.

If the Roundup doesn't get them, try a mix of Roundup and Tordon (sp?). Even with that, though, I've seen locust come back-they are amazingly tough trees.

Diesel Fuel

First and foremost I nkow there are going ot be a lot of people who have aprblem with this. Secondly it is partially a joke, although its efficacy cannot be denied. Diesel fuel, in my opinion, is the best herbicide.fungicide, as well as insecticide. The only problem is the phytotoxicity to plants. It will kill your black locust, but it will also kill anything else it hits.
P.S.
you shoudl see the look on my agricultural chemicals professors fac when I blurt out diesel fuel as answers to his questions in lab.

Diesel fuel will pollute your soil and get into the water table, killing wildlife. REALLY REALLY bad idea. That's why HAZMAT is called out when there is a fuel spill. As far as I know it's illegal to use it in that manner in most areas.

Newt

Drive a copper nail in whats left after you flush cut and it will kill it totally.
I had a problem with a neighbors tree dropping sap on my boat, he wined about the price for getting the tree trimmed back to his property so I said that I would do it for free. Then he comes out with I love the tree and dont want it touched. Down the boat yard and old timer who I told my problem to advised me to drive a copper nail in the huge branch that extended over my property. In 2 years the tree died starting right from the branch with the copper nail in it. Now he has estimates for minimum of 3k to take the dead tree down before it hits his garage. :D

Latest posts

Back