Lake Tuck Snow serves up XMAS present

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone give this hombre an 18 pack!

The explanations of all the lines/blocks that were rigged was cool Rog.

Where's the piped 5100 homes!!!

Andy had to fix some buggered threads on the muffler mounts of the jug from me running that saw on pipe a bit too much, showing off.

But I now have a pipe for a 372....heh!!! so I can terrorize more 660 runners.

Woooooooooooooo!

had to fix some buggered threads on the muffler mounts of the jug from me running that saw on pipe a bit too much, showing off.

Man, the last time I tried showing off it landed me 2 nights in a Tijuana jail and the worst part about that night, they cuffed me before I took a bite off my taco!

Roger wants the pulley block moved up about 30 feet..... Sure beats climbing the hard way...

attachment.php

Some rigging:

attachment.php

Mounting the GRCS - hmmm.... it's a bit bent... Edit: make that the HOBBS.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My view - holding the back ropes.

attachment.php

Last edited:
That's the Hobbs, Andy. Invented by pioneer Ed Hobbs sometime in the early '80's, I think. Simple ratchet system, the ~17-1 mechanical advantage is achieved by the lever arm length of the bar. The GRCS is 46-1 in its low gear, 12-1 in high.

I think it was during the removal of the largest white pine in Seattle that I may have dropped a chunk of wood on the drum and bent it. It still works...

Amazing how skinny that tree is. It was ~125 fet tall....

I think it was during the removal of the largest white pine in Seattle that I may have dropped a chunk of wood on the drum and bent it.

Serves you right as all the wood from that tree probably went to Jim at Urban Hardwoods. ;)

Bill

attachment.php

View attachment 85230

Here's a shot of the crew sorting out a mile of soggy, frozen rope. That camera with the big ol honkin lens hangin off the front was sure put to good use. Thanks for the pics.

I like that shot from the holdback side of the house. The use of two hoisting devices simultaneously was key to saving the skylights and vent stacks sticking up out of the roof. By keeping lots of drag on the two holdback lines, the slope of the roof allowed the log to hover over the obstacles as it moved sideways towards the eaves.

Ever wonder how those shots of the log moving were taken? Our intrepid orchestrateur made a climb to a vantage point on the broken 40' stump, Jimmy Swaggert style, just to watch. Once on the ground, I couldn't really see beans.

The lift/lower involved a communication challenge between 4 people. While two of us winched (one on the GRCS, and one on the Hobbs), we couldn't see each other, because the house was between us. Two of us held holdback tag lines (Lakeside on the tip, & Mr. Woodland on the butt), and the winchers couldn't see either of them, neither.

Somebody else had to call the time for this square dance. Of course, who else is allowed to do absolutely nothing (physically), except for taking video & pictures, and saying something once in a while, but the boss?

Looking back at other emergency storm jobs over the past 35 years, there was one thing different about this one. That is the fact that there was no damage to the roof. They skated away clean on this one.

Lots of times we encounter clients with water damage inside the house. Or, even worse, the arborists sometimes cause even more damage that is incidental to getting the log off the house. I would love to hear how others have handled the aftermath of a removal operation that involves more distruction than that caused by the storm failure alone.

Arboreally yours,

Ox
www.treedr.com

Last edited:
here's our intrepid orchestrateur on his vantage point

attachment.php

and.. not sure what he's up to here...

attachment.php

And here he is trying to get the saw to start. Would help if it has a choke...;). Lovely roads...

attachment.php

The finer points of joining two ropes being discussed by the other two (orchestrated).

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back