Large Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, very interesting. btw, I always go the highway route home when I have a full or (often) overloaded van. I figure less stress on the suspension etc cruising down the highway. Less stopping and starting etc. Even if it takes me more miles, unless it's a LOT more, I'll go highway when full.

You have a nice little setup there, nice business. It seems like you enjoy what you're doing, and that's the key. To bad you couldn't save any of the figured stuff, but that's the nature of the beast.

Washing the wood

Hey backwoods-nice thread and pics.
you've mentioned washing the sawn wood a couple of times. Do you mind if I ask why you do that? Just cleaning off the dust etc..or does wetting it down help with surface checking? I know some folks will treat with a bleach solution to help deter insects...

Thanks,
Andy

Hey backwoods-nice thread and pics.
you've mentioned washing the sawn wood a couple of times. Do you mind if I ask why you do that? Just cleaning off the dust etc..or does wetting it down help with surface checking? I know some folks will treat with a bleach solution to help deter insects...

The main reason I wash down is so my drying shed doesn't fill up with sawdust. Sweeping with a broom just doesn't seem to be as effective on rough sawn surfaces.

I have a good water supply and find it to be the most effective way of getting all the sawdust off the wood so that the surface dose not dry blotchy. When saw dust is left on the wood it affects the drying process by not allowing even air contact with all of the surfaces. A paddle set up like a car wash minus the water would work as well by evenly removing or distributing the sawdust over the whole board. The climate here is somewhat damp so getting all the sawdust off allows the boards to dry slightly faster. If I had an issue with cracking because the air is to dry I would put sawdust in a fertilizer spreader and evenly coat all the boards before placing stickers to slow the drying process. Possibly even dampening the saw dust a bit.

This tree was larger then the heritage tree that blew down up at Linfield College this last winter. There are about 30 trees in this grove that are over a hundred years old, and 10 of them are over 250 years old. The old farmhouse that this tree was leaning towards was built during the early 1900’s. I see very few oaks of this size with a long straight trunk like this one. Most of the Oaks that grow in this area have an 8’-10’ straight trunk.

I milled up five Cull Douglas fir Logs and made a few stickers so that I could get the rest of the Oak stacked correctly. I only got about 50% recovery out of these logs due to breakage, and big knots, but that is why I picked those logs up for stickers a while back. I just hate to mill up a nice log into stickers, although it dose make this time consuming project a lot easier then using cull logs. I ended up with a truckload of trimmings from the stickers that I gave to an elderly man down the road that likes them for kindling.

attachment.php

both stacks of stickers are from the same logs.
attachment.php

Last couple years I've been making my stickers out of tulip poplar boards I've milled. It dries super fast, has few knots or defects, and is pretty plentiful here on east coast. I make mine down in the woodshop though, not on my mill. You can mill in one day what I mill in a whole year though, so I'm attending a whole different ballgame :cheers:

TNMIKE
That is one big oak. Is the green moss on the bark?

Sorry I missed this the first time around.
Yes, the moss grows heavily on the trees in the deep shade out here. This tree was part of a grove that had created a solid canopy with a park like setting under it. Now there is light that will reach the ground under these trees.

Very nice. Time or history will never change. I am glad this part of it found some one skilled like your self.

Latest posts

Back