large silver maple with ants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drock4

Reaction score
Greetings all, new-ish homeowner and also inherited the old trees with the house. There's a very large silver maple that has seen better days that measures 251" at 4.5 feet off the ground. The past two springs/summers I have had lots of carpenter ants letting themselves indoors (yuck) including the winged swarmers (double yuck). Called an exterminator to investigate who used liquid perimeter spray indoors and out, and didn't look into where they were coming from. Late last night I went out to some searching. I went right for the huge old maple and saw the little buggers going to town. I've read that the ants don't create more damage, and just take advantage of the cavities that already exist within the tree, but I'm pretty unhappy with them getting indoors. Attached are some pictures showing the general size and condition of the tree. Is it possible to evict the ants? Is the tree worth saving?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
If the tree is close enough to the house to hit it I would certainly have a arborist come out and possibly do some cables and possibly weight reduction. You are right the ants are living in already decayed wood and not the cause of the cavity. Some people hate silvers but that looks like a great old tree. If you are interested in saving the tree make sure you have someone look at it who offers tree care and not just tree removal.

The maple is worth saving, when you have a good reputable Arborist out to look at your tree. Ask about his/hers certifications then bring up your ant concern.

Thanks for the replies all, the only house it is in danger of hitting is a neighbors house, it's a few hundred feet away from mine.

If you have a tree that threatens a neighbor, have you considered what liability you are exposed to? I had one that threatened both my house and my neighbor. When I talked to him he offered to participate in the cost of trimming it back to make it safe for him.

No liability but if the neighbor benefits from the tree sure see about splitting cost of light pruning; it looks like it does not need much.

Latest posts

Back