Learning to climb properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocom

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay so here goes I would like to learn to climb properly and really get to the point of trusting any equipment I need, (insert chuckle here) I have a fear of heights but when I went to pole climbing school for telecommunications I got over that at least for that type of situation and have since climbed a lot for work and sometimes even for play..

So where would you start maybe at a rock climbing or rapelling gym or something of that sort where I can get professional training and have all the safety stuff in place..and then slowly gravitate to trees and such (of course with more training)

Thanks in advance for your time
GEO

So where would you start maybe at a rock climbing or rapelling gym or something of that sort where I can get professional training and have all the safety stuff in place..and then slowly gravitate to trees and such (of course with more training)

Thanks in advance for your time
GEO

Rock climbing and tree climbing have very little in common technique-wise. The ropes and harnesses are completely different. Depending on what part of the country you're you might be able to locate a recreational tree climbing instructor. This page on Tree Climber's Coalition has a good list of rec tree climbing instructors:
http://www.treeclimbercoalition.org/resources.cfm

The Tree Climber's Companion gives a good overview of tree climbing technique, knots and gear.
-moss

Back