Lets go on a spending spree.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuff that works for me

This might be out of the budget a little but there are three things I can't live without
1. Cat backhoe (I have this for the farm but sure comes in handy for wood)
2. Farmi 3pt log winch (worthless if you don't have a tractor)
3. Splitter with a log lift

If you ask for a 4th it would be a 2171 Jonsered (have 4 other saws but that's the one I hope the thief leaves).

Good luck.

I agree with the others about the backup saw being a 372. It's not that much more money and while I've never ran a 357 I'm sure that there's a ton of difference between the two. I know that there is between my 359 and 372.

I agree with the others about the backup saw being a 372. It's not that much more money and while I've never ran a 357 I'm sure that there's a ton of difference between the two. I know that there is between my 359 and 372.

I already have a 372, along with an older 371 that is in the process of being overhauled right now. They are both great saws, but I sure wouldnt need another. I am considering swapping out the 455 that I have for the 357xp, they weigh both the same, but the 357 has an additional 1hp. That in my book is a great upgrade, another horse but weighs the same as what I pack around now. I use mostly the 372, most of my wood tends to run on the big side, but I love the weight of the 455, just wish it had a little more power. The 357 fills that bill exactly.

This is a second job, and a guy should be able to blow some money on themselves, right? Esecially when a guy has to work as hard as we do to get the wood in.

Anyone got any good ideas of tools and equipement that makes the job easier?
Have been thinking of replacing the 372 with a 385, but doggone I like this saw!
Anything else?

I think what you think...

...while I don't sell wood it does take a lot of cut wood to burn 24/7 up here in the cloud graveyard. Years ago we figured we save 3k a year using wood to heat this old farmhouse up to my wife standards. Cause she has helped me and knows how hard it is I never have any problem buying anything that makes the job more efficient.

So my advice is buy the best quality saw or whatever you need...and avalancher is on the right tract starting a slush fund cause in a lot of cases having a fist full of cash can be an excellent deal closer.

The biggest ticket item we ever got that greatly improved my quality of woodcutting life was in '92 I swapped out an old Farmall H for a Kubota B1750 ...what a great asset that is to work with.

avalancher whatever ya get for wood cutting... get the best, never go cheap cause cheap means more headaches down the road. Cutting wood is hard enough as it is.

Last edited:
I don't know what you need for equipment as everyones needs are a little different, but...

If you're in the market for something to replace one of your 371/372's, think hard about buying a 7900. I certainly didn't need a 7900, but I'm thrilled to own one now. It's now one of my main go to saws. Same weight as a 372, but more nads.

Perhaps a couple of new B&C in various sizes?

Silvey square grinder???

What do you have for a splitter? Perhaps a new Super Split would really increase your productivity (assuming you own a hydraulic)?

Used Bobcat?

Chipper?

I find a nice light weight aluminum floor jack comes in really handy when on the job site. I own a 1.5 ton, but I'd love to get a 3 ton. This might be something to consider.

PPE?

New ropes?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... have a shirt made up for doing CL jobs that says:

Yard Boy
Will work for FREE!​

:D

That just ain't right.

I'd say invest in some gear that will let you tackle jobs for which you are now underequipped. Or keep the extra cash on hand so that you might rent the equipment you need but don't have. What would have made that split tree takedown you posted on a little more easy and less worrisome? That's where I'd start anyway.

Dont blame you. i was so steamed over that email that I metioned it to the wife over dinner. All I heard all weekend was, "Hey yard boy, can you take out the trash?Wash the deck? Take me to dinner?":censored: :censored: :)

Dont blame you. i was so steamed over that email that I metioned it to the wife over dinner. All I heard all weekend was, "Hey yard boy, can you take out the trash?Wash the deck? Take me to dinner?":censored: :censored: :)

LOL .... I would be steamed too (at the very least), but I am glad to see that smiley at the end of your post.

:cheers:

LOL .... I would be steamed too (at the very least), but I am glad to see that smiley at the end of your post.

:cheers:

Ah yes, the smiley. :)
I figure if you cant laugh at yourself, then you have no business laughing at anyone else.:)

You told her about it??? That might have been your second mistake (after taking the original job). I know if I told mine, she'd keep hitting me with those comments for months... possibly years!

Oh well, at least you can laugh about it. I never did ask (as I'm sure you were hot at the time), do you think the guy was serious when he said that to you, or do you think he was just being a prick and trying to get under your skin???

A really nice pair of boots? (you know the pair you have always wanted, but couldn't justify the expense).

The saw you want (sounds like that is already a foregone conclusion).

If you have money leftover, a nice dinner with the wife and throw the rest into the tractor slushfund.

You told her about it??? That might have been your second mistake (after taking the original job). I know if I told mine, she'd keep hitting me with those comments for months... possibly years!

Oh well, at least you can laugh about it. I never did ask (as I'm sure you were hot at the time), do you think the guy was serious when he said that to you, or do you think he was just being a prick and trying to get under your skin???

I was steaming at the dinner table, she asked what was wrong, I told her the truth. Besides, she is full of good humor and she loves to pick. Before Saturday was over, i was laughing along with her everytime she called me "yardboy"

The guy is dead serious, and a real moron to boot.He is one of those guys that doesnt have a clue as to how the real world works and has a very low opinion of blue colllar workers. He is a retired sports agent, and kind of thinks that blue collar workers are put on this earth to serve the white collars. He also thinks that you should be willing to go to any extreme to satisfy the deal. As his neighbor mentioned, he is "giving" away several thousand dollars worth of firewood. He even thought that I should be willing to give a little cash to the homeowner for all the nice firewood. Neither he nor his neighbor understands that wood is turned into firewood through a ton of hard work, and isnt worth a dime sitting in log form.

I was steaming at the dinner table, she asked what was wrong, I told her the truth. Besides, she is full of good humor and she loves to pick. Before Saturday was over, i was laughing along with her everytime she called me "yardboy"

The guy is dead serious, and a real moron to boot.He is one of those guys that doesnt have a clue as to how the real world works and has a very low opinion of blue colllar workers. He is a retired sports agent, and kind of thinks that blue collar workers are put on this earth to serve the white collars. He also thinks that you should be willing to go to any extreme to satisfy the deal. As his neighbor mentioned, he is "giving" away several thousand dollars worth of firewood. He even thought that I should be willing to give a little cash to the homeowner for all the nice firewood. Neither he nor his neighbor understands that wood is turned into firewood through a ton of hard work, and isnt worth a dime sitting in log form.

After all the shady deals they push through, it would be a nice taste of his own medicine to see him left with work to do.

After all the shady deals they push through, it would be a nice taste of his own medicine to see him left with work to do.

Well, looks like that is exactly what is going to happen. I returned to his place this morning to finish the job, and he refused to hand over the cash that he owes me for tearing up my saw until I did all the extra work that he wanted for free. I got back in my truck and left all the brush for him to deal with.

Pish Posh have fun while ya can!!! Still be responsible but the cup is half full too not always half empty.

Kyle

Well, I'm saving all I can, at 24 yrs. old. I'm going to be the one obtaining all the debt payments this country has just taken on. Not those in their golden years. Believe me, there is more debt now than ever. Plus I'll never see any Social Security, so I cram what I can each month under the matress for rainy days, months, years, decades...

the grapple bucket is very handy... I use mine for removing the limbs that I have take off... also for clearing the brush from the base of the tree that is about to come down.... and clear the area that the tree is going to fall in...

Latest posts

Back