limb reattachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Mark had touched lightly on this during out last class. He was talking about taking limbs that had freshly broken on trees and re-attaching them to the tree. I think one of the key things he stressed was that at least SOME cambium had to still be in tact.

Do any of you guys have any experience putting limbs back together? What kinds of success or failures have you seen? What is your generic method of putting them back on?

I have done 2 ornimentals, but did not have an oportunity to do any followup.

I've dones a few bark reattachment too.

So like husky said, it's like grafting, but with a cable and brace system included, seems to be best if you can get at the bark while it is still moist.

I've heard of people taking other limbs off to cut bridge grafts from.

What kind of success have you guys had with this type of work? How do you charge for it? Mark was talking about limbs that were good size (mature trees) that either split apart horizontally, or that ripped down and were reattached. Very interesting stuff.

I know of a nursery that has grafted drop tines (from the branch to the ground and also from the stem to the ground. Weird stuff. Looks cool.

can a branch that tore out in a storm and reattached be strong again? or is it just an accident waiting to happen? if the branch ripped out under its own weight with out wind is it ethical to reattach it? aren't arborists then playing god? what happened to survival of the fittest?

I put it in with cabling and bracing, let the client know that sucsess is not high and that there is high risk of future failure. You need to brace the dickens out of something like this, so there is a good cahnce of decay.

You are extending the useful life of the tree, not repairing it for long term. Put as much wealsle wording sdiscalimers in the contract and maybe insist on a mention in the property title so that future parties are aware of the remidiation.

We can try all sorts of things, only time will tell of the efficacy.

i see it in savannah alot, some live oaks are all cabled up. but if the tree was removed it would really change the look of the property. saw one today where the sign said it was 5o feet tall but the spread was 117ft. theres one near my house that must have at least a 150ft spread. some one did a nice job of cableing up the low limbs.

I have reattached broken branches on a few small trees and shrubs. I have had fair success-- probably because I won't even try unless things look pretty favorable. Nylon stockings/pantyhose and plastic bags are the specialized wrap materials I've used :D. I seem to remember seeing a successful reattachment by a homeowner using electrical tape.-Not too SHOCKING I guess.;)

Never reattached a limb or bark. Dr. Mengler of tree care.

Try reattaching some of this. I found bark 80 feet from the tree.

Not just a live oak, and escarpment live oak. Extra short and scrubby.

LMAO!!:p

Lightning nailed that thing next to my parent's house near Junction, TX - 150miles west of Austin where trees get shorter and shorter. Another 100 miles west from there and they are waist high.

This tree was full of lead from being used as a backstop for rifle practice before the fam bought the place.

6 months later, the tree is amazingly green.

Back