Little Johnny and his Carrot Top Big Brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah so did the one on the 346. It was even a mesh filter. Went through the saw and cleaned everything up. Put it back together, the thing ran like ass. It stumped me for a minute. Pulled the filter and off she went!
I did try to fire it without aircleaner- no go, but I did not try real hard. Yet to pull the fuel filter either.

I'm trying to figure how it would fire at all without a pump. I'm not keen enough on these carbs to know if the engine vacuum could pull fuel directly from the tank through the carb. I guess that would be the only way.

I'm trying to figure how it would fire at all without a pump. I'm not keen enough on these carbs to know if the engine vacuum could pull fuel directly from the tank through the carb. I guess that would be the only way.

When I said I got it to pop on full choke- it was only that, enough to pop the decomp back out but not run on.

Did you have a close look at the diaphragm/gasket assembly?

I did but I can't tell on my little phone screen if it's upside down or not. The carb from your 2159 will run that saw.

It is- the classic gasket on wrong side of diaphragm.
Yep, bit of cleaning and reassembly this evening and I will swap out the carbs to see if it will fire up.
Think I have a K-24 HDA kit here somewhere as well- CAMA one.

Okay, so I lied.
Figured the real world could wait a bit and seeing as how these saws are pretty easy to teardown/reassemble, I went and put it all back together with the spare 2159 carb.

Saw starts, then climbs in revs like a FUD launching from a carrier deck and then dies- guess I should pull the alloy riser and check out the crank seals.......... :p

I discovered what I wanted to discover- the saw runs, so no need for P&C kits, or anything expensive.
Now I can pull it all down properly, clean it all up a bit and put it back together with new bits where needed and good quality sealant in all the usual places these saws tend to leak or suck air from.
Will have to try and search out a new 372 metal boot clamp as well, this one still has that not so nice plastic clamp- though at this stage it is not broken and appears to be holding well.

Your throttle rod could be not quite right. Had it do that exact thing

You mean the throttle rod that connects carb to trigger? Seems to operate the throttle through full range and return to zero- but I can take it off to check if it is not fitted correctly.
Seemed more to me like a massive air leak somewhere, the oily sludge sitting at the bottom of the flywheel surround could have been from a failed seal on that side, or it could have just been sloppy chain oil tank filling...... piston was not fried, but hey, maybe that was not the original cylinder....... ? Pressure test will explain some things.

Ended up, all that was wrong with the wee Jonsered was a severely distorted clutch spring and subsequent slipping clutch, someone had had the muffler apart and not realigned the baffle again internally- it was just floating inside the muffler box- but the screen was clear! A bent chain catcher and the bent AV spring where the front handle bolts to the bottom of the oil tank.
Has been run with the chain brake engaged, melted a bit of plastic inside the clutch cover- but should salvage.
Will cost me a new clutch to make it a running saw capable of being sold- versus staying here as a parts saw for my other 2137.

I probably have a clutch and drum for you but shipping from here to there would be several times the value of the part!

Cheers :cheers: but you are most likely correct, shipping will kill the deal.
For every red 37, I am willing to bet there will be 100 orange 37's over here and as many if not more grey and orange saws about the same size.
I know a guy up in the other Island that probably has one- but will want more for it than I paid for the entire saw. Still a bit of a juggle as to if it is going to stay or be flipped- sold on, it might be more prudent to replace the cover.

Got a reply from the previous owner of the 350, declares that carb was in the saw when he bought it, denied ever being in there tinkering and pulling the carb apart and says it used to run really well. :laugh:
How it ever ran without the pump operational and the kill switch wires hooked up incorrectly is past my learning. :rolleyes:

350 runs and cuts- albeit on a borrowed carb from my 2159. Will sort that wee problem in the coming week.
Even managed to dress up the GB Pro bar well enough to consider reusing it, that and the no name chain that came with the saw- full chisel 325 without a stamping or letter visible anywhere and leading edge of the top plates either rounded over or chipped off....... got to love secondhand homeownwer saws! :p

I have a 2137 with exactly the same problem it seems. I thought it got caught in a bush fire. I think i need the chain brake assembly and plastic as it is also a bit warped and doesn't fit flush. Any idea who has any bits for these little jonnies?

Yep, keep your eye out for one of the newer plastic McCullochs (#3616?) they are the exact same saw in yellow livery, people that should not really have petrol powered chainsaws fry them up all the time, not sure over your side of the ditch- but fairly common homeowner saws over here and is what is on this one now- was easier than trying to repair the original.

Yep, keep your eye out for one of the newer plastic McCullochs (#3616?) they are the exact same saw in yellow livery, people that should not really have petrol powered chainsaws fry them up all the time, not sure over your side of the ditch- but fairly common homeowner saws over here and is what is on this one now- was easier than trying to repair the original.
Hi. Many thanks for your info. I don't think Macs are very common here. Everyone has been indoctrinated with Stil and Husky. Will have a looksee and see what's around..

Latest posts

Back