little red xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack1

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an old little red that needs a new chain and probably a bar(how do you know if you need a bar?). It runs fine if I take the bar and chain off but when they are on it stalls as soon as I start cutting. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love this saw for small jobs around the house.

Regards,
jack

Few things to check.

1. Is the chain tension okay? If too tight it may stall the engine. The chain shouldn't sag and you should be able to lift it off the bar 1/8th of inch and move it around the bar with your hand.

2. Is the chain the right size for the bar. It needs to not only the right length but also the other specs must be correct. If not it will bind up and stall the engine.

3. Is the bar properly seated and the chain properly seated over the sprocket?

4. Shouldn't have to mention this but, are you using good "chain oil" and is the oiler working okay?

5. Are the air filter and gas filters and spark plug new? Easy/cheap maintenance items which make a diff.

Good luck!

stalling

DGG,
Thanks I'm new at this but I think the chain was to tight after messing with it last night a got it running. But I'm going to take care of the maintenance stuff you mentioned also. Where is a good place to buy parts.
Do you recommend on-line or finding a local dealer?

Thanks,
jack1

Last edited:
DGG,
Thanks I'm new at this but I think the chain was to tight after messing with it last night a got it running. But I'm going to take care of the maintenance stuff you mentioned also. Where is a good place to buy parts.
Do you recommend on-line or finding a local dealer?

Thanks,
jack1

I would check local hardware and small engine/lawnmower shops. If they don't have what you need go to the saw manufacturer's website. Usually they have a listing of dealers, both local and internet.

Latest posts

Back