Local gov't selling logs online...I've seen it all now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Log

Hey! Thats a good deal for the state. Most likely a downed tree. Its from a stste park. better to get some thing for it. I've seen some real junk sold on that site, but they have to try and get the most they can for it.

Most people have a free source for firewood logs and many millers (like me) have a free source for milling logs too (if you do not count time and labor). I do not think the sale will be worth thier time. I think Oldsaw is right.

I might get my head chewed off for this but I think I can see where they are coming from.

I am assuming someone in the forestry department or something like that is a woodworker hobbiest. They see trees that are dead and logs going to waste. They probably can't have it because of office policy so they figure lets give someone the chance to get it. They can not give it away because then everyone wood expect this and then there would be riots with over the wood and freaks in the parks cutting trees down at will. Someone in the office knows about ebay and gets the idea lets sell it. This is probably the only way to sell a few logs. The high bidder takes it.

I just looked at the auction and the walnut log sold for $11. I would give $11 for that log. lol

Our Urban Forestry department tried many times to sell logs. We now give them away. We have a log yard with more wood than we can deal with so now if local people are interested they can sign a waver and take logs. We could never even get $11 for logs and it cost more than that to sell them. We have problems giving them away too, urban wood has nails, wire, ect... embedded in them sometimes that makes people stay away from them. What we cannot give away as logs we cut into firewood and have a big give away in the fall. If it is too rotten then it goes to 1 of 2 recyclers and gets turned into pulp or what ever. If a Forester/Urban Forester looks around a little they can find places to give or take the wood other than a dump. If they can sell it and make money, more power to them but it is not that easy.

Last edited:
Back