Locktite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i assamble my brand new rotor shafts, using 5/8-18 bolts with a high collar lock washer, i apply a small amount of red high strength loctite, and torqued to spec every time. I have never had a problem removing these bolts in the field, usually requiring little more than the same leverage arm i used during installation. My customers have never had any issues with removal, and as long as they follow my reccomendations, no problems with teeth losening either. I have had a number of people however, not torque the bolts proper, and no amount of loctite will keep them tight.

Just my .02

Marty

Rotor shafts?

When i assamble my brand new rotor shafts, using 5/8-18 bolts with a high collar lock washer, i apply a small amount of red high strength loctite, and torqued to spec every time. I have never had a problem removing these bolts in the field, usually requiring little more than the same leverage arm i used during installation. My customers have never had any issues with removal, and as long as they follow my reccomendations, no problems with teeth losening either. I have had a number of people however, not torque the bolts proper, and no amount of loctite will keep them tight.

Just my .02

Marty
Marty, I'm not sure what a rotor shaft is but we were talking about stump cutter teeth and the bolts that hold them in the pockets. In a lot of aplications i use loctite to make sure bolts don't loosen.....but not on cutter teeth bolts.

I've always used neversieze and never had a problem. Here close to the beach everything rusts, the neversieze lets the bolts come back out.

If I have a bolt that won't break free I take a 2 lb sledge hammer and smack the pocket set, 1st one side then the other. These two blows loosen it right up like magic!!! Try it!!!

Back