Locust worth milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was able to get some maple logs the other day from a site where they are clearing an old house and outbuilding for a new development (just what we need here west of Chicago). I will post pics later of the haul. One is 24" dia., (2) 20" dia. , and one 18" dia. log. The hardest part for me to believe when I saw the tree, was that these were the diameters of the branches. The main butt was about 40" dbh. I will go back this weekend, and if it is still there, I will try and quarter it and bring those home. The tree was felled and limbed, so when I went by, the trackhoe operator said I could buck the logs to length and he would load them into my truck with the "claw". That made it pretty easy, except for the fact that the final and largest log crushed my tailgate. Live and learn (buy a trailer), but unfortunately, I don't have the cash right now.
Anyway, getting to the point, there are some other logs at the site that include some fair sized locust (I think it is black locust) and was wondering if it is worth milling. From what I could see, the logs were good sized, maybe 18-20" diameter, but haven't milled any before. I have heard it can be tough to mill. If it isn't worth the time, I will probably cut what I can into firewood, but would rather get some input on how well it mills, dries, and works so I can make plans to make room to mill it along side the maple.

I would mill it! It is well worth it. Has nice grain and is rot proof when dry.There are fence post still standing over 100 years old out of locust.Try it, you will be suprized when you see it.:) Mark

I milled a couple logs about 2 years ago. I have to say I was surprised at the grain; its kinda pretty. Make sure you seal the ends; it checks for sure if you don't. Also, I didn't weight it down at all, and got a fair bit of twist in a number of pieces, but I blame that on my not putting anything on the stack as it dried. Its hard, heavy, durable stuff. I hope to finally get around to planing a bunch over the holiday break from Nursing school (I have to plane it at a friend's place--my HSS knives produce tearout even when freshly sharpened--going to bring it to a friend's 24" helical carbide planer), I'm going to make a workbench and a new stand for my lathe. So, yeah, its worth milling, if you have other firewood around, because as firewood, around here at least, its tied with hickory. We don't have osage in this part of VA.

re: locust, all good points so far. I have milled several hundred feet of it, and it wasn't all that bad to mill. About like oak... not as tough as the pecan (hickory) I milled this spring. It's a hard dense tough hardwood. I have pulled locust posts out of the ground that were over 50 yrs old, and the part of the post that was buried was still solid as the day they put them in. The exposed parts of the post had some deterioration due to 50 years of exposure to the weather. What can you do with it though? I still have most of mine I milled... it's not a wood you make a shaker side table out of. The color varies depending on the soil chemistry it is growing in, but in general it tends to be a dark greenish wood. Not something people want furniture made from. However, I'm glad I milled the locust I did, and would mill another if I got the chance if only because I love wood, all kinds. I have made nutcrackers from it. The wood is so tough it makes great ones, but then the ones I make from cherry and walnut work fine also.

I saw a lot of locust, it all goes for sills, trailer decks & bridge planks. 2" is the minimum I cut. I saved some 4/4 a few years ago for pegs [timberframe] If I need to take less than 2" off a log, it goes in the slab pile. It is great firewood too.

I too say to mill it up. I have never milled Locust due to it being in high demand for firewood around here. However if I ever run across one that isnt punky in the middle (most of the larger stuff that I have cut for firewood this year wasnt in real good shape for about 3'to 4' up from the base) and has any size to it Im gonna give it a go on the mill. I think that it would make a fine wood for exterior applications such as a bench or picnic table. Best of luck to ya!:cheers:

Last edited:
I happen to think that black locust is an excellent furniture wood. the green color tones down and mellows with age to a warm gloden brown with darker streaks. Because it is so strong it is supurb for delicate spindles and tapered legs. finished natural many experianced woodworders unfamiliar with locust will think it is a tropical exotic. The one down side is that it takes twice as long to dry as any other domestic wood. It will move around if it is not dry but once dry it is very stable.

re: What can you do with it though? I still have most of mine I milled... .

If it is straight grained and without pin knots try contacting traditional archers or bow makers. It is often used in the limb laminations and is prized for both it's beauty and strength.

Dave

Back