Log Splitter cylinder not moving - need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abornox

Reaction score
Currently using a 4 year old Champion 27 ton splitter. The wedge cylinder fully extended and will not retract. When I push on the valve control, you can hear the engine strain, but the cylinder will not move. A few passes before this happened the cylinder would stop approx. 2 inches before the cylinder end on the return stroke and just stop, then it would "pop" back into place. Then on the next split, the wedge came against the log and just stopped and would not split as if there was no pressure. I ran the wedge back and removed the log, then extended the wedge fully, but when it reached the stop end, the cylinder stopped and would not retract. The engine is working properly and I pulled the pump coupler to make sure the shaft pin did not shear off. The hydraulic tank is also full to the sight glass. I have not had the time for any other exploration. Does this sound like a valve failure or a cylinder seal failure? The cylinder has zero leaks anywhere. The valve has some leakage. What would be my next steps?

My guess is that the piston has came loose on the cyl rod. Remove the hoses and see if you can pull the cyl out by hand, engine not running of course. Be prepared to spill a bunch of oil. Probably best to remove the hoses at the control valve and stick hose in a bucket before trying to pull or push the cyl rod. asl could just be the seals on the piston have broken apart. Either way, you will endup rebuilding or replacing the cyl.

My guess is that the piston has came loose on the cyl rod. Remove the hoses and see if you can pull the cyl out by hand, engine not running of course. Be prepared to spill a bunch of oil. Probably best to remove the hoses at the control valve and stick hose in a bucket before trying to pull or push the cyl rod. asl could just be the seals on the piston have broken apart. Either way, you will endup rebuilding or replacing the cyl.
One thing you can check is the hydraulic filter is not plugged

Currently using a 4 year old Champion 27 ton splitter. The wedge cylinder fully extended and will not retract. When I push on the valve control, you can hear the engine strain, but the cylinder will not move. A few passes before this happened the cylinder would stop approx. 2 inches before the cylinder end on the return stroke and just stop, then it would "pop" back into place. Then on the next split, the wedge came against the log and just stopped and would not split as if there was no pressure. I ran the wedge back and removed the log, then extended the wedge fully, but when it reached the stop end, the cylinder stopped and would not retract. The engine is working properly and I pulled the pump coupler to make sure the shaft pin did not shear off. The hydraulic tank is also full to the sight glass. I have not had the time for any other exploration. Does this sound like a valve failure or a cylinder seal failure? The cylinder has zero leaks anywhere. The valve has some leakage. What would be my next steps?
What muddstopper said but I wouldn't ignore that leaking valve either, usually it's just some O-rings

Likely the nut that holds the piston on the rod came off. Have had it happen on a fair amount of farm equipment over the years. I would just take it to a hyd shop and have the cylinder rebuilt.

That sounds very close to what my 27 ton Champion was doing. I wrote a nice letter to Champion explaining the problem and they sent me a free cylinder which I swapped out myself. My warranty ran out 2 years before this happened. Champion done good by me.

Latest posts

Back