Log splitter Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoosterBoy

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
hi i have a new 8 hp Tecumseh snow king engine and would like to use it for a log splitter.

can some one tell me what i need to make a log splitter i have a welder so i can mod anything. or do they sell log splitters without the engine

thanks
Jason

turnkey4099
RoosterBoy said:
hi i have a new 8 hp Tecumseh snow king engine and would like to use it for a log splitter.

can some one tell me what i need to make a log splitter i have a welder so i can mod anything. or do they sell log splitters without the engine

thanks
Jason

If you are buying all the parts, add up their cost. You will find that you can't build one cheaper than you can buy a new one even with a motor. The price of the hydraulic hoses alone is enough to give one a heart attack.

I scrounged everything on mine except the motor and the hoses. Didn't save a whole lot.

Harry K

TimberPig

TimberPig

ArboristSite Guru
MikeInParadise said:
Princess Automotive has all the parts to build them, Look through the hydraulics, engines and farm sections of the download catalog....

http://www.princessauto.com

Except he's in the US, so he may want to pursue something a little closer to home, in case of duties and such.

If you add up the parts cost out of Princess Auto to buy the components, without the I beam and such, you're only about $700 shy of buying their bigger, ready built splitter. Factor in your time, and the cost of an I beam, and their ready built one becomes pretty economical.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
One more littel thing, that "Snow King" engine was built for a snowblower, and I'll bet there's no air filter on it. Put one on no matter what you use it for!

1CallLandscape

1CallLandscape

ArboristSite Operative
that 8 hp is perfect for one, i got a steel i beam and various used steel parts including an old axle, tank all for 20$ i had a 5hp briggs also got a used 24" cylinder for 25$ all from a junkyard. i ordered a new 11gpm pump, valve , and filter for 250$ including shipping and had my hoses made locally for 110$ and 25$ for welding rods. I am a pretty good welder and mechanic and total build time was 25 hours. it may cost a little in the beginning to build but it will save your back and you can also split other peoples to make back that 500$ in no time. i paid for mine after 2 jobs!!! just kick back with a beer and split away (not on a job though)
im done with the maul!!!

Latest posts