Logging season (also hello from England)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentishman

David
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, recently stumbled across this forum and I've learnt some stuff I think from the falling pics thread. Something I've always wondered since watching the likes of Ax-men is when in the year is the logging season. In the mountains, is this basically the summer, when the weather allows? Does it vary a lot in different areas, how much down time do different people experience?

I'm what we call here a woodcutter, similar to your loggers. In my area we cut coppice wood mostly, on sites that have been cut regularly like this for centuries. There is a traditional season for doing this, here it is the winter. From September to March anyway. Loads of reasons for this, cutting the wood when dormant means a whole summer of regrowth giving larger, sturdier shoots of regrowth, more likely to survive frosts. Also, the product (normally fencing of some sort) is thought to last longer as it's drier inside without the risen sap. For most of us now though, we cut every day of the year (except for Christmas etc.!) but plan which jobs to do in what order by the (expected!) weather for the time of year. My basic rule locally is sand or stone (as in under the soil) in the winter and clay in the summer. Some places where a shoot is run, the gamekeepers want no work done in the winter either, to not scare the birds away. The fussiness of the owner is another factor. . .

Anyway hello and thanks for reading!

That show is a farce. They made up a logging season so they could have a contest and show plot. Around here there are some operating restrictions on government lands, and you also don't want skidders working in the mud during the monsoon times. Too much snow can shut operations down, and in April, May and June when the sap is up, trees will scar easily so if working in a partial cut, you have to keep an eye on things and give loggers the stinkeye if they aren't careful.

Think of Axmen as a fictional show for entertainment, and you'll be all right. I couldn't watch it anymore.
I believe it has been cancelled. They really asked around for logging outfits to participate, but most would not, and for good reason.

Think of Axmen as a fictional show for entertainment, and you'll be all right. I couldn't watch it anymore.
I believe it has been cancelled. They really asked around for logging outfits to participate, but most would not, and for good reason.

I get that it's basically fictional. Didn't realise they'd make up the whole concept of a fixed season! I should've known.

Another seasonal restriction here is around the bird nesting season. Though a bird's nest in the wood we cut is very rare. Different landowners all have different opinions (and superstitions) about this stuff.

greetings, and welcome, Hacks Men was a really good show to learn how not to do things, granted I'm sure the crews they portrayed are actually good at their jobs most of the time, the camera makes people into something they are not. As I understand it (I don't have a TV anymore) the later seasons of hacks men got some real nut jobs to come play with em...

Latest posts

Back