long day with some locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Locust has to be one of the toughest woods I saw- Hard, not a lot of moisture in it, you get a finer dust & blades get dull quicker. I had an order for 250 sf of 2" thick by 12 footers, the last log I cut was the nicest, 20" on the small end & straight
locust1.jpg
Here's the butt end
locust3.jpg
and some of the finished product - Destined to be planks on a bridge
locustplanks.jpg
My ass is dragging, life at 57 is a lot tougher than 37 was............:dizzy:

...My ass is dragging, life at 57 is a lot tougher than 37 was............:dizzy:

Yup, join the club. I figure I wear out in about half the time I used to when I was in my 20's.

Nice stack of locust. I milled about 300ft of it several years ago and it was tough milling for sure. It sure is great rot resistant wood though. I don't really make much out of it in the shop however, I find people at shows don't really like the dull yellow color. I've made nutcrackers out of it... great for that.

That's some wide locust! Usually Locust that wide is a yard tree.

Locust is better than pressure treated wood in the ground. What is it going to be used for?

:givebeer:

Would be nice to see some better focused photos. The thick bark makes it look like Black locust (robinia genus) the color honey locust (gleditsia)

Latest posts

Back