Looking for a little imput

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m new to the site and was impressed by the various articles posted in the various forums. I really liked the responses members have given to other less knowledgeable individuals such as myself.
I live outside the town of Grants Pass, Oregon.
Our primary timber is Douglas (Doug) fir, found more inland, Coastal Red-wood and Cedars.
We recently logged a portion of our 5ac property and harvested 16 loads of Doug for fire suppression and thinning.
Having said this, I have always been an avid outdoorsman (hunting and fishing primarily). I
Worked for a large utility in Nevada and my wife and I retired to our present location.
I started a tractor service helping locals doing mowing, post holes, bucket work; purchased a smaller excavator, got my contractor license and installed septic fields.
So now at 76, I’m thinking of slowing down a bit and would like your opinion.
I’ve always have been mechanically minded and have worked on many of small engines including chainsaws. My question to you is what do you think of me starting a small business sticking primarily with Husquvarna and Stihl saws, buying up part saws to refurbish and selling them. I believe there is a market. Is there any drawbacks I should be thoughtful of?
I don’t know, Your response appreciated!

I’m new to the site and was impressed by the various articles posted in the various forums. I really liked the responses members have given to other less knowledgeable individuals such as myself.
I live outside the town of Grants Pass, Oregon.
Our primary timber is Douglas (Doug) fir, found more inland, Coastal Red-wood and Cedars.
We recently logged a portion of our 5ac property and harvested 16 loads of Doug for fire suppression and thinning.
Having said this, I have always been an avid outdoorsman (hunting and fishing primarily). I
Worked for a large utility in Nevada and my wife and I retired to our present location.
I started a tractor service helping locals doing mowing, post holes, bucket work; purchased a smaller excavator, got my contractor license and installed septic fields.
So now at 76, I’m thinking of slowing down a bit and would like your opinion.
I’ve always have been mechanically minded and have worked on many of small engines including chainsaws. My question to you is what do you think of me starting a small business sticking primarily with Husquvarna and Stihl saws, buying up part saws to refurbish and selling them. I believe there is a market. Is there any drawbacks I should be thoughtful of?
I don’t know, Your response appreciated!
Welcome to the site
Lately I've had great difficulty sometimes. getting oem parts for pro series
both stihl and Husqvarna
I mainly make the most money from homeowner stihls and huskys
Parts are readily available usually.
The average labor rates are above 100.00 per hour locally.

At 76 I'd be doing whatever I want and could afford. Absolutely go for it if that's your dream. Achieving a profitable business may be difficult as a "new kid on the block". OEM parts are expensive (and rare on older saws), and new no-name brand saws are cheap online. Homeowners that use a saw once per year just get a BlackMax or whatever every so often.

About 10 years ago I started a welding business with truck and home shop since I was pro for 25 years. Folks dont want to spend more than $25 for jobs so I sold everything. Probably worse today with the no-named recession going on. I would be careful with your investment. Plus as Czed mentioned some parts are unavailable or if available folks want you to pay ridicules amount for it. Look on eBay for MS261 top cover. I need one but guy has it for $462 and $442 or so. Retail is only about $50. Perhaps something fun is in order. I retired 2 years ago and started whittling and chainsaw carving. I joined a whittling club and now just follow online videos to make lots of stuff I give away to family, friends, MDs, store employees, etc...I then took a class from local guy how to chainsaw carve and learned a lot. It wasn't cheap and the guy is an ass but it was worth it. I have sold a few pieces and enjoy it. Safety, Safety, Safety. I had other hobbies that just cost money this hobby you can make money. Plus, you are right in the middle of the best carving woods I know of cedar and sequoia. Plus Plus Weed, CA is nearby where they have a carving event in July I think and one on the OR coast in August as well. I started whittling, then tried chainsaw carving a couple of fir logs that we took down. Notice semblance of whittling art and chainsaw art? I took my trailer to empty parking lot to sell some in May.

Attachments

• IMG_9936.jpeg
    IMG_9936.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg