looking for a vermeer mechanic, Mass.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a mechanic in southern Mass. that can work on vermeer stump grinders. I have 2 352 thatt are currently broke down and am out of business till I get one repaired. One's a fuel issue that I can probably find a deisel mechanic to hande, but the other is a drive shaft problem for the cutter wheel. Broke the bolt that connects to the upper gear box along with the key. Dropped the wheel and lower gear box but can't figure out how to make the connection. Seems to be totally enclosed once reassembled. Anyway, too busy to stumple around trying to figure it out and would need a regular mechanic anywsay for future work. I live in Rockland Mass. if anyone can help out.

I had Vermeer stumpers from 1963 unil I sold out 10 years ago. If you have owners manual and parts book they are easy to figure out. Also Vermeer in Castleton, NY were always helpful. If you don't have manuals Vermeer Factory (not dealer)will send them free. Good Luck

Thanks steve. I've had Vermeer machines for years also, but can't seem to get my hands on a shop manual. I have the vermeer parts and other standard manuals, but they don't help when getting into the more exotic stuff. I have a detailed illistration of the driveshaft/upper gear box assembly and it is very simple. I dropped the lower gear box and cutter wheel and the driveshaft fell out with the damage I thought it would have. Shared bolt and key. But the problem is that the shaft measures 17". The boom is 22", which means the ends of the shaft where is connects to the gear box is several inches into the boom. How do you get the shaft ujoints over the gear box shaft with the key inserted, insert and tighten the bolt. I know there must be a trick to it, but it elludes me and can't seem to find anyone to work on it.

Thanks steve. I've had Vermeer machines for years also, but can't seem to get my hands on a shop manual. I have the vermeer parts and other standard manuals, but they don't help when getting into the more exotic stuff. I have a detailed illistration of the driveshaft/upper gear box assembly and it is very simple. I dropped the lower gear box and cutter wheel and the driveshaft fell out with the damage I thought it would have. Shared bolt and key. But the problem is that the shaft measures 17". The boom is 22", which means the ends of the shaft where is connects to the gear box is several inches into the boom. How do you get the shaft ujoints over the gear box shaft with the key inserted, insert and tighten the bolt. I know there must be a trick to it, but it elludes me and can't seem to find anyone to work on it.
Remove the guard, belts and gearbox pulley. Then you only have 4 bolts to undo and the top gearbox lifts out. Slide the top of the driveshaft onto the gearbox shaft and fix in place then reassemble in reverse order.
Don't use the same top universal yoke again because it will have probably loosened on the shaft, causing the pin to break. I did our one in 3 hrs after assembling the parts required.

Thanks brother, I dropped the lower box to see what the problem was. The bolt was shared at the top so the whole shaft came out. Looking at it, I thought I would have to take the botton u joint off the lower box, disassemble the upper box and attach the upper U joint and slide the shaft thru the boom and push the lower box back onto the shaft. Since the shaftyis only 17" and the boom is 20" or so, how do you attach the bolt thru the upper shaft? Not much room to work in that boom.

Sorry, I spoke (wrote ) too soon. I had a chance to look at the parts and found that the botton gear box just slips into the u joint so you can take off the top gear box and attach the shaft to the gear box and drop it thru the boom where you can guide the botton on. Yesterday it looked impossible, today it looks pretty simple, even for a boob like me, thanks.

Back