Looking for advice on a stove/fireplace install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy19

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not new to burning wood (been burning it outdoors for years), nor am I new burning wood indoors (family has been doing it for years, but one thing I am new to is picking out a good stove/fireplace setup and getting it installed properly.

Let me start of by saying that I plan to do most/all of the install work my self if possible. I can pretty much do anything I put my mind to, I'm a DIY guy that is very hands-on. For example, I tore my french doors out, fixed the partially sunken studs, replaced rotted sub-floor and then properly re-installed the doors, I should be able to handle a stove install.

The problem I am having is planning it all out and picking the right stove.

My wife would like a fireplace in the master bedroom, but I also want wood heat in the main living area to supplement my electric heat. It just so happens that the master bedroom shares a common wall with the living room.

My wife said the solution is simple, put a see-thru fireplace in. That sounds simple enough, put a zero-clearance, see-thru fireplace in the wall then construct a "fake chimney" to mask the vent pipe. Can anybody see a problem with this?

The problem is that I can't find very many see-thru fireplaces on the net, can anybody point me to a reputable manufacturer that makes a see-thru fireplace that can just be stuck into an existing wall (I realize that I will have to do some framing etc once it's inserted)? What about a high-efficiency one? I live in a rural subdivision so I want something that isn't going to smoke the neighbors out.

I would like to keep it to one hole in the roof/vent pipe. If there aren't any suitable options on a see-thru, would it be possible to put a fireplace in the bedroom and stove in the living room and tie the vent pipes together before they exit the roof? This option may be more favorable to supplementing the heat (have 2 going at once) but it would be more expensive (buy 2 stoves) and I can see that tying the vents together may mess with the draft in the two stoves.

Anybody have any thoughts, recommendation, tips, or advice?

ETA, the wall is not load-bearing so I can remove studs without doing a header etc and I can run the vent right up the center of the wall-space.

BTW, I tried to register on ********** but it kept giving me an error so I gave up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back