Looking for Firewood Processor- what you got?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnyscapes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used firewood processor. What is out there? Within a reasonable drive of Central NY.

woops, I forgot to put a price range- under $20,000. I know that will put me in one of the smaller machines, but thats about all I can afford. I have looked at some of the new hud-son machines (they are made an hour from me) and the only one I like is the Hakki-pilke that they sell. I can get a new one for under $20K, but I am looking to see what is out there for used machines.
As for what wood, mostly ash and who knows what else my guy will bring me.
Most of the stuff is around 12" but sometimes bigger. It comes in 20ft lengths.
I would like to do 1,000 face cord a year this year.
A stationary machine is fine.

oh dear,

No offence to any of the guys running a hud-son processor out there but i'm not impressed with them. For that kind of money you can pick up a used timberwolf or something comparable.

I am bought a used timberwolf CMX for ~15 thousand dollars. which, in the state that i got it (stock) was a good machine. Over the past 3 or 4 years that i've owned it i have upgraded it in many ways. it started out with an 11 hp honda engine with a stihl 660. cycle time was around 10-12 seconds. IIRC

at the present time it has a 134 hp power plant with an hydraulic saw and a cycle time of around 5 seconds. i have invested several thousand dollars and many hours in it since, but i wouldnt trade it in on a new top-of-the-line timberwolf. expecially if i had to pay the difference! theres just not that much money in a firewood business

also, keep in mine support equipment. such as a loader and a truck. i used a tractor to load mine in my early days but have since upgraded 2 or 3 times and now operate a pretince 210c.

Check out the classifides, there is a chomper in there for 25k i believe. bad news is it will only process a 14 inch log. good news is no need for a loader!

Just weigh your pros and cons, and be sure this is what you really want to do. ive invested several thousands of dollars in equipment that i probably couldnt get my money out of. no turning back now! got to much invested...

Back