Looking on feedback for MS360 Pro Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Way2Slow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I had my butt handed to me on a platter with this 48mm cylinder. I literally have thousands of hours experience porting outboard motors and automobile cylinder heads and all the equipment anyone could want, including dyno and 1200cfm flow bench. I can spend 100 hours porting one V6 Johnson or a set of cylinder heads, so I though a few hours on this one cylinder would be a piece of cake. That was until I found out getting tools in that little bitty transfer port in that dinky 48mm cylinder was not quite the same as getting them in 3.5" to 4" bore cylinders.
Since I have gotten out of the business because of medical problems, I'm not really into buying another $400 grinder to do one chainsaw so I did what I think will give me the most bang for my buck with what I had and would like some opinions and suggestions.
Since I couldn't do anything with the transfers, I didn't change any port heights. Research had indicated 103, 120, 80 were good numbers and that's what I was going to do.
I opened the intake port, not the so much the opening in the cylinder, but the runners going in. The port opening was already much wider than the intake runners so I managed to get them out to where I have a 1 degree tapered funnel going in. I did not take any off the roof at the cylinder and left most of the metal in the roof but did a blend so the was not a wall for the charge to hit starting in.
I've also ordered a ms361 intake boot. I looks like it's a lot more open than that useless thing on the 360. I've also order a slightly larger carb I think I can modify and make it fit. Won't know until it arrives.
For the exhaust, I widened them approx. .045" on each side (left .030" on each side to overlap the piston skirt) and put a 1 degree taper out toward the muffler. Again, did not change anything in the port opening other than width.
I had mixed emotions about not raising the exhaust port about .020" because I've replaced the stock cylinder gasket with a .005" copper shim I made.
Leaving the cylinder gasket out, gave me a .016" squish and I decided not to do any machine work since I can't do the transfers. Research showed I should run a .020 squish so with copper shim I have .021".
I cleaned up the piston's ports and dropped the bottom of the lower transfer to take that sharp edge off, but not drastically. I think the stuffing would be more valuable than the nickel's worth of gain it might produce
The, muffler has been opened to match the exhaust port, and I will be installing the two 5/8" openings and deflectors.

Any comments or suggestions on things I should change when I replace this cylinder will be appreciated. If anyone want's to do just the top transfers in my new cylinder, talk to me.

All the porting was done on the OEM cylinder and piston. I had to replace the crankshaft in it and I do have a new cylinder set I haven't messed with I ordered with the crank.
I put it back together today and was going to see how it ran (since I've never heard it run) with the stock carb, intake boot and muffler but the thing has a bad coil. That's probably why I ended up with it. I found it laying in the woods and you could tell it had been there for several months so I know nothing about how the thing ran in stock form. I have a 029 Super Farm Boss, so I'm thinking it should at least be an upgrade from that. I looked at stealing the coil out of the 029 but you have to rip the thing all apart to get the plug wire out so I decided I will just wait.

Nope, other than my notebooks I never have been into doing much documenting with pictures and didn't think about it. Since this was going to be a quick down and dirty, the porting is not something I would really want to brag about anyway. I looks ok but there are some small burr marks in a few places but definitely not something I would have handed a customer or wanted pictures of. I have it back together for now so other the exhaust, there's nothing a can take some of, and the muffler is not finished.

Actually, I put it back together to run it because I'm more concerned about the crankshaft. I don't have the tool kit to install it and used my press. I warmed the bearings and pressed them on the crank, which they went rather easily. However, I can't say the same about the case halves. It took way more pressure than I would have ever dreamed to press the bearings outer race into the cases. To the point I actually cut me a metal block to stick in the rod slot on the crank to keep it take some of the pressure off it. Now I'm hoping it didn't stress it too much and damage it. It would kinda piss me off it broke and damage the case.

If I have to pull it apart again, I WILL remember that. Actually, I will probably go ahead and make the tools to do it with. Right now I Feel like a kid with a new bike and can't ride it. I'm apprehensive about my crank installation but at the same time, I would at least like to hear this thing run. I've done enough wrench turning over my years that I know when I'm on the verge of screwing up and I was at that point with this crank assembly. I live 30 miles from anything so it's usually cheaper for me to order on line by the time I make a round trip in my truck but if a parts place 30 miles from me has it, I may just drive over and get a coil and just keep the one I've ordered as a spare. Then another side of me says if I just wait, I should have the new carb, boot and muffler mod finished by the time it gets here. Then you can say, how do you know all that's going to make a difference if you don't know how it runs with stock carb, boot and muffler.

Called the dealer for the coil, when he said over $100, I said never mind. Pulled the one out of my 029 and stuck in it. Fired it up and ran it at about 3,000rpm for a tank of gas to give it a little break-in, then gave it a couple burst on the throttle and it didn't grenade itself "yet". I guess now I'll see what happens when I stick it in some wood when I'm finished. At least now I know it runs.
The carb I ordered came in, good thing it was a cheap one so I didn't throw much money away. Even though it's for a larger saw and the picture made it look bigger, the venture is the same size as the one I have.

Back