Making prussiks w/ rigging line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosliw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can I make prussik lengths with Samson 1/2" Pro-Master rigging line?

It'll be on a True-Blue climbing line. If not, and I find some climbing line to make lengths, do I need to do anything special with the ends? Just put a flame until they're solid, right? What works best when making prussiks?

Thanks-

Sure, you can make most half inch lines work well for prussiks. I used one yesterday to balance a horizontal limb 6' over a house extending 20+'. Arborplex on Arborplex. Worked like a charm.

We use electrical tape to wrap the rope before it's cut. Six or eight wraps then cut it in the middle, both ends sealed.

Great!

I was just worried about the surface texture differences between the two ropes.

Thanks a lot!

I'll go make some now.

Just experiment with the ropes you're using, and figure out how many wraps you want to get the right amount of grab/hold.

Some ropes may not be suitable for use with each other, but most will work well.

you can use 1\2 for prussik use 3 wraps it will hold anything.when you cut the rope take a knife heat it up and melt threw the rope do not cut it, it will bond the kermantel and sheath.always melt your rope on a knife or rope cutter with heat.IT does not weaken the rope or fray it.

Thanks much for the advice!

The prussiks you buy are usually 30", but they have eye-loops on the end so that the biner can be directly connected no fuss no muss.

When I make mine, should I make them a little extra longer so I have additional rope to connect the ends together?

Back