Man Dies Trimming Palm Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bike_reck_ben

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tragedy struck in my area today.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/worker-killed-in-tree-trimming-accident/
BONITA, Calif. — A man was killed Monday in the South Bay when part of a palm tree fell on him while he was trimming it, the Chula Vista Fire Department said.
The incident happened around 11:20 a.m. outside a home near the intersection of Bonita Verde Drive and Yerba Lane in Bonita, CVFD Battalion Chief Tim Mehrer said.
The worked was hoisted on the palm tree, which is approximately 100-feet tall, when the crown of a dead palm frond fell onto the man, according to officials.
The man then became trapped, prompting rescue crews to respond to the scene.

The man was unconscious when crews got access to him in the tree, Mehrer said. Firefighters were able to transfer the man from his harness on the tree to their harness to get him to the ground.

Approximately 35 minutes after arriving on the scene, crews were able to get the man to the ground, where they then attempted life-saving measures on him.
The man was ultimately pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.

The family of the man has been notified of the incident, CVFD said. His name has not yet been publicly released.
Crews with Bonita-Sunnyside Fire Protection District, National City Fire Department and San Diego Fire-Rescue Department assisted CVFD with the rescue response.

The Chula Vista Police Department is investigating the accident and the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office and Cal/OSHA have been notified, Mehrer said.

Head injury, suffocation, heart attack, or stroke? Was he wearing a helmet?
Details aren't out yet. Knowing the outfits around here, he was probably in a saddle and flip line with no second tie in and no helmet.

My best guess, based on the picture in the article, is that some dead fronds dislodged from above where he was working and either caught on him or the fronds we was cutting and was probably pinned to the tree.

I doubt the news will post an update. If anyone knows resources where I can find a report, if made public, I'll keep checking and updating.

A different news station has the follow up.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-n...-father-of-4-killed-in-tree-trimming-accident
To answer the two big questions that come to mind:

"Martinez says a friend had hired Bautista, with more than 13 years of experience, as part of a four-person team."

"Chula Vista Fire officials say he was about halfway up a 100-foot-tall palm tree when dead palm fronds fell on him, trapping him."

Don't they call dead limbs in the tops of trees "widow makers"? Exactly for this reason!

Back