Manzanita… what would you do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Manzanita, but you'll he hard pressed to get anything out of that.

Every now and again you'll get straight(er) trunks, but I usually have to train/prune them one or more times to get them to take on a tree-like growth pattern.

If you could find some 12-16" diameter trunks, you might have a chance at getting something.

They are incredibly tough, but also soft and brittle inside. I'm not even sure how they would mill up, if at all.

HIGH quality firewood, though.

I love Manzanita, but you'll he hard pressed to get anything out of that.

Every now and again you'll get straight(er) trunks, but I usually have to train/prune them one or more times to get them to take on a tree-like growth pattern.

If you could find some 12-16" diameter trunks, you might have a chance at getting something.

They are incredibly tough, but also soft and brittle inside. I'm not even sure how they would mill up, if at all.
They will dry, crack, and twist in a very short time.

Manzanita is one of the best there is. It burns seasoned or not and is beautiful. I would not try to sell it though as it is too much work. When I came to California about fifty years ago there were only a few bushes here and there. It was illegal to cut them or destroy them. If caught damaging one it was a five hundred dollar fine. In my neighborhood they are quite proliferate and are up to a foot in diameter. Since they are classified as high energy they must be at least twenty five feet away from the edge of any road. A couple of years ago a neighbor of mine had about sixty of them growing along the edge of our road. He did not clear them so the county sent a crew to remove them and bill the neighbor. The removal crew piled them to make a rather large pile when I noticed what they were doing. I told the supervisor that I would haul all of them away for free if he gave me a day or two. He said go get them. They heat so well and are clean. Another neighbor friend of mine was laid off from his job and was worried what he was going to do. He ended up making picture frames and small Pine furniture pieces. One day I suggested he look at some Manzanita and has been making enough of them to support his family well. Thanks

Great for use in parrot and other creature cages and enclosures, gives them something "natural" to grip and stands up to any gnawing and clawing.

I’m going to try and burn some in my smoker. Thanks for the tips guys. If it don’t sell maybe the trunk with dry in a few years and I’ll mill it then and hopefully it’s done moving and shrinking by that time. 1648EFCD-73ED-424A-89CB-8033AAAEFBF5.jpeg5C409044-D256-4B83-BCDB-B3E7D9DEF6F2.jpegF9134E7A-6AD8-4D29-B029-CB1F9B067BB4.jpegB137CE6E-E4F0-4017-A9DD-8E6C75BC764D.jpegA 17 pound brisket from Monday on my birthday.Burnt white oak with a little plum mixed in. Cut this piece of cherry down from a 4’ long slab so I had something to cut this hunk of meat on lol

Back