Maple Tree Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenH

Reaction score
We have two 10 ft Maple tree in our front yard. Both purchased at the same time. The tallest center limb of one of the trees appears to have died. There are not buds or leaves on it. Should we have the dead center branch trimmed off? The rest of the tree appears to be doing well.

I won't even hazard a guess on why the terminal lead died, but I will tell you you're on the right course. If you're sure there are no live buds on the limb, take it off. Trim back to the next live lateral branch. Try to make a smooth, clean cut parallel to the angle of the live branch, leaving a tiny bit of dead wood. Also, if the next lateral branch does not grow upward, directional prune it, meaning take off some limbs of this branch that are growing other than upwards, the left-over upward growing branches will take-off and become dominant.

Thank You!

Thank you so much. I will definitely do that right away.

Thanks again!

you may want to scratch the bark first to be sure it is dead and not just slow leafing out.:pumpkin2:

Latest posts

Back