maple tree stress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieaich

Reaction score
Many of the Maple trees in the area (Southwest Ohio)have produced more than the usual amounts of seed pods this season.
I have several mature Silver and Sugar Maples on my property that look a bit sparse after the green pods browned and dropped. They have signs of ant infestation, but I have never noticed beetles.
Sick or stressed?

Dry conditions usually have the effect that seed production is increased (in order to assure the long-term survival of the species rather than the individual). If you have had dry weather, along with the tree putting more energy into key production, foliage growth to this point in the year may look sparce.

I don't know that ants are a particular problem to health trees. Our maples here (sugar) are suffering some dieback for a variety of reasons. I your thinness similar in appearance to dieback - from the top down?

Thanks, John
I believe it is a bit dry here so far this year.
The dieback on the trees is actually random with the most toward the bottom smaller branches. These are large mature trees 35-40'.

Maple Tree Drooping

I have noticed my one of our three maple trees in my lawn in Wheaton, IL has all its leaves drooping. The other two seem very healthy and no signs of insects. It has been hot for a few days, but didn't think that hot that it was out of water. Soil was very clay ridden when we planted a year and a half ago so the landscaper put some gravel in the bottom of the pit when planted. Was fine last summer.
Any advice? Should I water more? It rained hard just last week.

Latest posts

Back