maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan629

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi guys, i have a question about a maple with two leaders. this tree is going to get cabled at some point but what i'am concerned about is the crotch of the tree, water and leaves collect there. is there any way of fixing or filling it so it doesn't rot.
thanks

What makes you think it will rot?

Why don't you just subordinate one leader instead of cabling?

Can you please post a picture?

this tree is huge, its about 65 feet tall, it would probally kill the tree if i cut one of the leaders off. i will get a pic on as soon as i can

Last edited:
The only real option is too keep the area free of debris. If this is your tree, just clean out the crotch every few weeks. Trees are not as susceptable as one would believe. I cabled a hemlock a few months ago with the same problem.

After I climbed up I realized the more I tightened the cable to more sway between the leaders. I could actually pull on the cable and move both trees.

To say the least, I was out of the tree in no time, and then cut it down. The root system was so decayed that as I PUSHED the butt over there was almost no resistance and the whole root flare pulled out of the ground.

We know alot about trees but the scary part is no matter how safe you are sometimes there is no way of saving a tree. I am soooo excited the tree did not fall while I was tied into it.

thanks for the help, i will probally cable it. This tree shows no signs of decay even in the crotch, so hopfully it will be around a while.:)

"Subordinate" means to reduce, not remove the leader.

Hire an arborist willya?:deadhorse:

Treeseer, how is subordinating one of the 65ft leaders going to have an effect on the current issue. This tree may grow more depending on the environment but the size of the current trunk may be too large to have an effect. Unless you want to top both leaders and then you are begging for more trouble in the future.

Note: NEVER TOP A TREE>>>>>> just a note for someone thinking this could be an answer to the problem.

The correct way to deal with this issue is to do a size and weight reduction pruning before installing cables. This will help reduce the amount of load on the cable. Maybe this is what you mean by subordinating the double trunked tree.

If so, sorry about the interuption.

hard to prescribe a cable--or anything-- without seeing a picture.

You are right that subordinating may not fix the problem all at once. Maybe pruning over time, maybe cabling, is needed.

Latest posts

Back