McCullough Mac 110 vs Mini Mac 30 vs Mini Mac 6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baroil

Reaction score
Hey there chainsaw fans... I'm new to chainsaws - used one a long time ago but I have some land clearing to do and will need to hone my skills in the near future. I have had my eyes on a stihl 180 or 230 at the local dealer but yesterday I kind of inherited 3 mcullough saws. I was able to get them all to turn over. Not sure when they last ran, but the previous owner must have taken reasonable care of them since they all ran and idled for a few minutes on new 40:1 gas. A bit smoky but idling OK and coming up to full throttle OK also. The 110 seems to idle fast, and it did bog a bit. I have not put them into any logs yet.

As a courtesy to the family of the previous owner who passed away, I would like to sell two of them and pass the cash back to them, and keep one for myself as I don't see the need to have three of these little guys. I realize these are small, old, loud, vibratey saws but thought it might be nice to have a little guy in the shed - and I like to tinker - and the price was right. If I get my "spending cash" jar full enough I will probably still go ahead with the 230 purchase for bigger jobs.

I'm wondering if, given the choice of the 110, mini 30 or mini 6, which one is best to keep? Are there any tests I should do to see which is the best runner? I'm thinking about ease of self-servicing, availability of parts as well as reliability. It seems based on fooling around with them that the 110 or the 30 would be the choice. Or if one of these is significantly better for resale, I would maybe sell that one to get the best cash for the family and then keep the second best myself as I'm sure in the long run this one will just be a secondary "toy" saw :)

I also got a homelite super 2/SL and remington mighty mite. These are just the powerheads and it looks like the bar tension bolts and some bits and pieces are missing on both. I didn't even try to start them. I was thinking I'd give them to the local mower place (where I'll buy the stihl) and let them use them for parts or scrap them. Or would it be insulting for me to burden them with those?

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Now I've got five of the 110 Mini Macs. We'll see how long I can hold myself back from buying a container of tannerite and blowing them up at 200 yards.

First, all of the 82cc Macs need to be running. Then the Super44A needs to run. Then the NU-17 needs to run. Then I gotta fix the 250. And the 790. And two PM610's. So I might be sitting on those mini macs for a long time...

The 110 is your best bet to actually use. It is newer and a bit stronger than the other two. I would sell the others on Ebay. If they run you should get $30-60.00 each for them. I have a fair amount o experience with the later Minis such as the 110,130, 160, and Eager Beaver. Give me a holler if I can help you. Also, read through the small cc McCulloch sticky, lots of good info there.

Yes I have read about the mini mac hatred already... So maybe the price was not right. Should I charge them for me relieving them of the burden? :msp_biggrin:

Now I've got five of the 110 Mini Macs. We'll see how long I can hold myself back from buying a container of tannerite and blowing them up at 200 yards.

First, all of the 82cc Macs need to be running. Then the Super44A needs to run. Then the NU-17 needs to run. Then I gotta fix the 250. And the 790. And two PM610's. So I might be sitting on those mini macs for a long time...

Shooting stuff is fun and all but.....

8 pounds of thermite is $23 and a 75 foot roll of magnesium ribbon is $8, both at alpha chemicals. There are other ways to light the stuff safely. Potassium permanganate and glycerine mixed together will do the trick and should be available at hardware stores and drug stores, respectively.

Either way, post a video. :rock:

I'm just gonna come out and say it, I LOVE MINI MAC'S! No for real, first saw I had and the first saw I ever made money with. Once you get them open they are a breeze to work on, and since I have so many one is being turned into a bike motor once I borrow my papas welder. I'm gonna port it and make a pipe for it. Y'all make such a fuss about them, they are probably the best top handle saw I've ever used except maybe a 200t but I only tried that out on a few logs on the ground. I buy mine at the scrap yard for like $.50 a piece, so I don't have that much money in them and they usually come with good bars and some times good chains. Also that's probably why I have about 10 bars for them and like 6 for a small mount husky, I.E Poulan bars. Also the power Mac six is easier to work on except the fact that the fuel line can't be swapped out with tygon. And yes the mini Mac 30 has less power than the 110 and the 6 but the 110 and 6 are tied at 2.0 ci but the 6 looks cooler.

EDIT: If the Remington is like the big Remington's you'll fall in love with the sound of it, it sounds like a old school muscle car before they put catalytic converters in, but you'll be shaking for the next five years.

Last edited:
Rock on! I like these little buggers myself and don't find them any harder to work on than other saws, especially if you are removing the engine. They are difficult in different ways, but overall I think my Mac 160 is as easy to service as my Echo CS-400. There are tons and tons of used and new parts out there for them at very reasonable prices. As you have mentioned, these things get no respect so complete machines are dirt cheap or free. Another thing: I have found that the carbs these saws come with are pretty dependable. This year I finally had to rebuild the Zama M6 in mine after 20+ years of service

I gave away the 30 and the 6 and kept the 110 - took a few small trees down a couple weekends ago. A fun saw to get me through the little stuff!

THanks guys

Latest posts

Back