Mesquite questions..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was cutting a mesquite down in a friend's yard today. I was eager to try it because I purchased some BLM permits for 3 cords of wood.

It was a small tree with a 8" trunk. I noticed that the furter down the trunk we cut the harder it was to cut. I wonder if it dulls the chain that fast or if the wood is more dense at the base???

I'll be cutting 3 cords over the next 3 months and I wonder now; should I cut it up at the site even if it's green or should I cut 4' logs bring them home and cut them after they dry next year?

I was very surprised at how slow the saw was cutting near the base of the tree... I wonder if the trunk begins to form roots and the grain of the wood begins to twist and change or something? Or, the tree was more green at the base and green mesquite is harder to cut?

HELP!

KRS

I've only cut a little bit of mesquite for bbq wood and it seems like it was pretty rough on chains. It does have some pretty twisted grain and sand particles get embeded in the lower parts of the tree. Try semi-chisel chain and it should hold up much better.

Season it and then cut or cut it green... any idea?

If it is anything like Osage Orange, Persimmon, Locust or any of the other denser woods, cut it green. Once it cures it gets even harder.

Roger that; I'll cut it green unless someone chimes in with direct experience with mesquite.

Thank you,

KRS

Hard wood like that needs a big, semi-chisel chain. Run at least 3/8 so you have some meat to present to the wood, .404 is better but might not be an option. Guys that cut big, big hard stuff like ironwood like big chains on big, low RPM, high torque saws.

I just dont file the rakers when cutting in hedge. They wear down on their own. I wind it up and ease into it. No point getting in a hurry. It takes as long as it takes but it is worth it.

Cut mesquite while its green

Hey KRS,

I live here in Tucson, AZ- Just use semi chisel chain and cut it green, its much harder and rougher on your chain when dry. Mesquite generally contains silica (mineral=sand) that it absorbs through the roots. Hard on chains, so take files and extra chains when you go cutting. PM me with your phone # and I'll give you a call- I don't have anyone to cut firewood with except my uncle, it would be cool to bounce ideas and chat with some here in this part of AZ, Thanks!

valleyboy

Thank you.

I appreciate all of the advice.

Valleyboy, you mentioned some interest in cutting at the Empire Ranch; did you ever call and get your permit?

My cousin (from Vail) and I are going on 11/22; plan on being there early. You want to join up and cut at the same time?

I'll send you a PM.

KRS

Latest posts

Back