Milling advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Hey, I've done a few milling jobs so far, but I got one comming up soon. I got my hands on a big cedar. I've only done small logs so far. Its about
30" dia, 50' long. And advice for me on handeling this wieght. Should I just slab it out, or make a cant then mill. I will be bucking to lengths first though. How stable is the wood after just slabbing a log? I will be building outdoor, arbor's, funiture with it, whats the best way to mill it to get the best quality wood possible out of the log.

Thanks

Hey, I've done a few milling jobs so far, but I got one comming up soon. I got my hands on a big cedar. I've only done small logs so far. Its about
30" dia, 50' long. And advice for me on handeling this wieght. Should I just slab it out, or make a cant then mill. I will be bucking to lengths first though. How stable is the wood after just slabbing a log? I will be building outdoor, arbor's, funiture with it, whats the best way to mill it to get the best quality wood possible out of the log.

Thanks

I have had very good luck with the Cedar that I have milled by just slabbing it from the log. Cedar is a very easy wood to mill, it dries fast and stays pretty flat when it dries.

I agree with Dusty about the wood. It's easy too mill and dries quickly. You might want too try a bit of both since you have a good sized tree too work on. My last cedar log was 16'8" long. I bucked it in half and milled slabs out of the top log, and made a cant out of the butt log. While making the cant took more time, the resulting 2x10"s (in my case) came out really well and ready too use. (my log was quite dry) Slabbing is faster, but you'll have to edge them later. Have fun, keep your chains sharp, and wear a dust mask. Cedar is very dusty with small particulates.:cheers:

Back