Milling cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nei

Reaction score
Newbie here from California - have been "lurking" and enjoying learning from all of the posts.
I have a huge cypress tree that is being cut down next week and am sad that it will be cut up for firewood rather than milled for use in furniture. Cypress is a beautiful wood - but I can't find a commercial mill anywhere near Central California that is interested. Wondering if there are any small, private mills that might be interested?

Newbie here from California - have been "lurking" and enjoying learning from all of the posts.
I have a huge cypress tree that is being cut down next week and am sad that it will be cut up for firewood rather than milled for use in furniture. Cypress is a beautiful wood - but I can't find a commercial mill anywhere near Central California that is interested. Wondering if there are any small, private mills that might be interested?
Haven't come across any Central Coast millers on any of the forums I've been on, sure there must be some. If you could hold on to at least 10' of the main trunk for awhile without it being cut up, you'd stand a better chance of finding someone sooner or later - or doing it yourself someday. Most mills want the wood delivered to them, and only so many chainsaw millers have the equipment to haul a huge log away. There was one guy on a forum who had a tree service with a side in chainsaw milling who specialized in chainsaw milling enormous trees, eucalypts and coast live oak, but I think he was northern LA-ish, maybe Thousand Oaks, and probably doesn't roam as far as the Central Coast.

Back