Milling experience: is this normal ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the sort of cutting speed I would expect in wood that twice as hard as white oak.
There should be no need for two people to push on 2ft wide cuts so it sounds like you still have a chain issue.
You are probably right Bob - I resolved earlier today to learn more about sharpening the chain. I have a grinder/sharpener that's been sitting in a box for a few years, and some homework to do !

Have also been poring over the milling stickies and Maloff's book as well.

Howdy,
The pitch of the chain will determine which thickness of wheel to use to obtain the correct radius. If your looking at the wheel in profile, it should be half round. I've always advocated relieving the bottom of the wheel to allow putting a straight, not a concave edge on the top plate like round files, or standard dressed wheels do. To me, that would be like hollow grinding a block plane.
Regards
Gregg

Now that I'm thinking about sharpening - anyone know a place in Canada I can buy/order one of those templates for dressing a wheel, something like this: https://www.baileysonline.com/Chain...gon-35596-Grinding-Wheel-Contour-Template.axd. I called my dealer but he said they aren't placing an order with Oregon for a while.

Recommendations for places in Canada would be greatly appreciated - most of the chainsaw places in the US have special processes for shipping to Canada and take forever - not to mention big shipping charges. Bailey's wanted $24 shipping for the $5 part. I'm a cheapskate, I admit it.

Howdy,
If you have anybody around who deals with Tecomec grinders, the same part can be had under part# 1112001.
Regards
Gregg

Back