Milling of Tornado Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here are some pics of some logs I had milled this summer from some tornado damage at my property. The sawyer (Lee Ullman) did a real nice job and was easy to work with. I put the storm damage photos in the picture area if you want to see them.

Nice posts. I had a tornado come through last October. I hate tornadoes. I live in a stupid trailer, and I figured I was safe because I wasn't in a park. I was obviously wrong and it was hella-scary. Glad to see the wood is going to good use. All my woods was destroyed, so I've been able to salvage a bunch of firewood and some saw logs.

What are your plans for the lumber?
I run the LT-70 as well and do over 90% of my milling as portable, they sure can whittle away at a deck of logs when you have a tractor or other support equipment and a crew. Most of the LT-70’s are set up semi permanent. Glad to see someone else who still uses one as a portable mill.
Good job on the stickering, that will pay off in the end.

Nice posts. I had a tornado come through last October. I hate tornadoes. I live in a stupid trailer, and I figured I was safe because I wasn't in a park. I was obviously wrong and it was hella-scary. Glad to see the wood is going to good use. All my woods was destroyed, so I've been able to salvage a bunch of firewood and some saw logs.

I hey ya Stihl051master, we were lucky when the tornado hit. My parents were in from AZ and we went in to town to eat when the tornado hit. I wouldn't want to be there when the tornado hit, just our dog was home. Also, do feel sorry for guys like you the lost all thier woods, at least I still have some woods left, even though I lost about 200 trees. We'll still be cleaning up for years.

Nice pictures! I remember that storm as i live close to you.I have a place in Stockbridge.We got the high winds from it but no damage.What kind of wood was milled? Looks like pine. Mark

What are your plans for the lumber?
I run the LT-70 as well and do over 90% of my milling as portable, they sure can whittle away at a deck of logs when you have a tractor or other support equipment and a crew. Most of the LT-70’s are set up semi permanent. Glad to see someone else who still uses one as a portable mill.
Good job on the stickering, that will pay off in the end.

Backwoods: I'm goning to use the wood for tongue & groove panelling in the basement. I'll have to plane it and use the router on it. My house is a Lindal / Justus Cedar Log Home, so the T&G should match fairly well. It will be lighter in color though. That LT-70 is one nice machine, I tried the Alaskan CSA for a couple of logs and realized that wasn't gonna cut it. Too much setup and time for 200 logs. I still use it for smaller operations. On a side note, I had some cherry milled also, it was funny the labor seemed about the same. The pine was lighter but cutting was faster, the cherry was heavy, but slower.

Latest posts

Back