milling pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milling with HusQ.385

Cool pics, I've got a new 385 that I mill with using a 36 bar and bailey's ripping chain. Saw has much power. I've not tried it in oak as I have been using it in white pine and loblolly pine.

Bailey rip chain

I use Bailey's ripping chain also. First time I milled with it, I bought and used Granburgs ripping chain. No only was it more expensive, but it didn't cut all that well. Not much faster than strait chain. Maybe it wasn't sharp enough right from the factory in the hard ash I was in, but the Baileys rip chain really chewed through no problem and so now use only that.
Dave

Bandsaw blade life.

Woodshop, if you were milling one ft. wide hardwood with your bandsaw,
how many feet of cut do you guess the blade 'would' be good for on debarked
cants? On softwood?

Thanks, Lorin.

2cyblowtorch...

From my experience so far milling with my RipSaw, how long a blade lasts depends mostly on species of wood, and whether it has to go through bark. Example, butternut is not all that hard, softer than walnut, but it sure gummed up my blades a lot, and thus I only got 200 bd ft from them. That was going through some bark though, where I think most of the gummy stuff was coming from. On the flip side, I have gotten 600 bd ft of pine from a single blade going through no bark. Same with tulip poplar, I can cut all day on same blade in that stuff if I keep it out of bark. Two weeks ago I cut almost 400 ft of oak before having to change blades. So... it varies.

Bandsaw Blade Life

Thanks woodshop. You covered the bases real well. I'm milling with a
granberg exclusively right now and considering other options as I go. My
experience with a full size bandmill ( and consequent blade life ) led me to
my question.

If money was no issue (ha!) I really like milling with a swing mill.

Your posts are well done, hope you continue to participate.

Back