Milling some small Juniper in the basement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Juniper looks a little different than the Juniper North, and West of here. There was a thread about it a year or so back, but I can"t remember what it was called.
Here's some I made V-T&G out of for a wall in our house.

MillingJuniper001-2.jpg

Here's what the bark on our Juniper looks like.
MillingJuniper003-1.jpg

One on the mill.
MillingJuniper002.jpg

Here's a little stack, air drying in the yard before the monsoon's hit.
36inchbar003.jpg

Andy

That's Alligator Juniper (no surprise there judging by the pic). Pretty much only native to Arizona and New Mexico. Incidentally it can also grow to be one of the largest of the Junipers. Its color looks almost like a yellow pine, but the grain is much nicer.

Ted - It's your lucky day. I did in fact just post a thread regarding my kiln box a few weeks ago. It's over here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=98381

Last edited:
Yep, Alligator Juniper is what it's called locally (I can't remember it's scientific name though).
It can grow pretty large. I have a customer that wants me to mill some 30" logs when I can get to them.
I really like the color in the stuff you're milling. There are some trees around here that has bark real similar to what you showed, but I've never had the privilage of cutting one. They are few, and far between.

Andy

Well after three nights in the kiln box - one with just the heatlamps and the last two with the dehumidifier - at 110°F, the white sapwood has gone from an average of 55% moisture content down to a fairly constant 9-10%. I'm amazed at how little loss there was to splits and warping. The only small splits and shakes to speak of were either in the pith center or radiating from a bark inclusion. The 3/4" boards have cupped very little so far, maybe 1/32" over a 5" wide piece. I did have probably 75 lbs. of weight or more on top of them during the drying process though. Either way, I'm really impressed with the stability of this stuff. It was not at all what I expected, since these trees grow only in open, windswept areas and are so knotty and twisted as a result. I'm starting to get soooo many ideas for this stuff, and no idea how to get enough of it.

Brad if you are ever in the Cache Creek or Deadmans River area the juniper there gets quite large. Sure has a nice grain. My bro built a ton of fly boxes from juniper. Yours is looking good. Maybe Clearance has seen some bigger stuff around his area also??:cheers:

Yeah I've seen some pretty big ones down that way, also along the Fraser around the Big Bar area. But if anyone in the BC Interior or Okanagan has access to a decent quantity of large juniper logs, let me know. It may be worth a few hours' drive depending on the logs. Bob, did your brother seal the inside of the box with Polyurethane or some such? I'm just wondering whether the strong scent of the juniper wood would affect the usability of the flies inside? Of course this wouldn't be an issue if the box was just used for display or decorative purposes, and to be honest I wouldn't really want to take a nice wood box out to be tossed around the boat very much either.

Brad if you are ever in the Cache Creek or Deadmans River area the juniper there gets quite large. Sure has a nice grain. My bro built a ton of fly boxes from juniper. Yours is looking good. Maybe Clearance has seen some bigger stuff around his area also??:cheers:

Hi Bob. Yes, I have seen it, nice wood. Rare, like yew.

Something else to consider---normally you do not want to Kiln dry cedar because the heat will destroy/lesson the smell. It air drys very fast--usually a couple of weeks at the most and is also quite stable.
Bill

Went for a ride on the quad this afternoon out on the back trails to an area that I thought might have some Junipers after looking at it on Google Earth. It's about 6 miles away so it's not exactly close to the house, but it turns out there is a good supply of Junipers around 6" diameter or larger there. I found one tree that had been dropped and the bottom 5 feet or so was missing - looks like someone had the same idea as me a couple years ago. There is literally a skid trail only a few years old directly to the spot I found, so it's fairly easy access - the only problem is that it's on a fairly steep hillside, at least steep enough that I wouldn't dare sidehill with the ATV.

Anyway I managed to come home with five 40-inch logs around 6-7 inches, an 18" piece about 7" round at one end and 6" x 12" at the other, with some center rot at the base. Also got a few miscellaneous smaller crotches and the like for spoons or whatnot. This stuff for whatever reason has a significantly thinner sapwood band - maybe 1/2" at most, instead of 1 to 1-1/2" of the stuff I cut a few days ago. Not that I'm complaining!
attachment.php

In a related story, this also happened today:

attachment.php

The big Douglas Fir you can see at the far left center of the picture was across the old skid road I was following, and since I only had my little Poulan 335/16" with me I didn't feel like tackling a >2' center-suspended log that would need some extra work to avoid pinching. So I fought my way through the trees and made a temporary ride-around, but when I came back over the bulldozed edge of the skid road the one wheel caught a high point I didn't see and tipped the quad over onto the sides of the wheels. Nobody hurt and no damage done, and it didn't come close to completely rolling so that was good. Thank heavens for winches though! There was no way I was going to roll it back over uphill the old-fashioned way alone. If this was my dad's older 400 2-stroke I could pretty much throw it around however I needed to, but mine is significantly heavier. I cut some stakes with the saw and drove them into the ground to block the tires so the quad couldn't slide, and then attached the winch cable up higher on a tree 90° in the direction I wanted to flip it, and pulled it right over. Barely strained the winch at all. The whole situation had me worried for a bit though.

Brmorgan we call it mountain cedar here in North Texas.

There are some in South Dallas that grow to 50 ft or better with 18 to 20 inch trunks.

Most of the old growth is straight as a pine

There a coule of sawmillers here that are in business for the local craftmens.

Beautiful wood. Seems to me that Juniper like that would make a good trade for some maple or walnut.

Sounds good to me, but I doubt the shipping costs would be worth it between our locations.

Today I built a makeshift Logosol-type mill on my tablesaw to mill the logs I brought back yesterday. It isn't the prettiest setup and it isn't very easy to adjust but it got the job done for the few little logs I wanted to do.

attachment.php

My tablesaw isn't anything fancy, just an old Rockwell I got for $50 at a yard sale. I only really bought it for the working 1hp motor. It has a 4' homemade extension with a plywood top, which usually doubles as my saw workbench as well. The fence guide rail is a 6' long 2" squaretube, so I cut some 1' long Birch pieces to fit snugly into the ends of the squaretube. I built a guide board assembly from a 3.5" X 1-3/4" Douglas Fir board, with 15-1/2" X 1-3/4" square pieces of Birch on the ends for depth posts. These were clamped to the wood posts at the ends of the table saw at whatever depth necessary. The Fir board is plenty rigid enough to support my homemade Mini-Mill jig with a small saw. And yes, that is my Homelite XL-2 bravely stepping up for some milling duties. 26cc but it chewed right through the 5" - 8" pieces. It was handy because since it was a top-handle, I could push the saw and mill with one hand and steady the log with the other if necessary. And it's so small that with the door wide open and a box fan blowing out the door, fumes and smoke weren't an issue either.

attachment.php

Backside view of the log and jig. To secure the log, I cut some random 2X2 scraps I had lying around at 45° and these were pushed up to the side of the log to cradle it. Since the top of the table is just some old greasy plywood, I didn't mind running screws through it to secure these pieces.

attachment.php

First cut is off. This is the smallest of the logs. I didn't get this one secured well enough and it rolled a bit as the chain pulled on it. The cut was off-square end to end by at least 15°. To mitigate this for future cuts, I took a third 2X2 with a 45° end and put it up against the log with the sharp part of the angle at the top, to dig into the log and keep it from turning. This secured it REALLY well.

attachment.php

To avoid any more waste than absolutely necessary, I wanted to split these further on the tablesaw rather than using the CSM. Not to mention it was a lot faster that way too. I only needed to square three sides as the fourth could be ripped off with the tablesaw. The near end of this log ended up nice and square, but you can see the first twisted cut at the far end.

attachment.php

The very bottom piece of the tree was about 18" long, 7" round at one end and about 7" X 12" at the other but very irregular. It also had some heavy center rot in the part above the guide board in this photo, so i wanted to cull that off and get the log back to more of a consistent size. I just raised one end of the guide and re-clamped it. Worked great.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Here are the cants I was able to get from those logs. Three a little under 5" and one around 6", all 40" long, and then the odd base piece. Not a bad result for the first run.

attachment.php

And here is what I got out of them after the tablesaw did its thing. The three rows on the far right are all 1/2" thick, then the 6" wide stack next to that are all 3/4" thick. The center pieces are all 1-3/4" thick as I have some plans for some thicker stock. The last four pieces on the left (and a couple not in the photo) are the edgings that are mostly random thickness and may only produce small usable pieces.

attachment.php

Just a closer view of the pieces. Good heavens I love the look and smell of this stuff.

attachment.php

All loaded up into the kiln, just needs some weight on top. I didn't set it very hot for overnight. I do agree that kilning probably removes some of the smell of the wood too, but if so it isn't a lot because the ones I kilned still smell great. The smell decreases a fair amount as the wood dries no matter what though. As does the color - that beautiful deep burgundy color fades slightly brownish as it dries, though a good finish will restore a lot of the color.

Beautiful wood.

How did you deal with the exhaust fumes from the saw? People commit suicide doing that stuff indoors.

I left the door open with a big box fan blowing out full-bore and it seemed to keep things pretty clear. Not to mention that I would make one 30-45 second cut and then have to spend a few minutes making adjustments and re-securing the log for the next cut, so I wasn't going hard at it. Now if I had been taking slabs off a cant with the 066, that would be another story!

If you have any really grungy looking pieces left ,that are relatively solid, try turning it. It comes up beautifully for small bowls.

The pieces where the branch hits the trunk are also in demand by native carvers for adze handles. They have just the right combination of springiness and strength

Back