Milling Weather Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but since it will be the first tree I milled and first chainsaw I own I have to ask.

Can you mill when its hot outside?

I have heard (don't remember where) that using a chainsaw was better if it was cold outside. Maybe it was referring to cutting firewood or something, maybe it was just because they didn't want to work in the heat. It being hot was just mentioned in reference to the chainsaw so it made me wonder.

So I thought I would ask, how much weather affects when you can mill.
Thanks

Who cares about the saw, won't take long milling at 90F plus to decide that milling in hot weather sucks.

I try to plan most of my little milling projects for spring and fall.

Milling frozen wood also sucks, so does milling at the peek of bug season.

But as far as power motors do best with cold dry air, hot and humid is the worst. It's a double whammy milling hot air reduces cooling to the motor and hot humid air is less dense given the saw less torque and making it work harder or run longer to get the same work done.

What saw set up are you using?

Last edited:
I too prefer to mill in the cool weather.As TW said,it's better on the saw as milling saws get alot hotter than firewood saws do.And i hate bugs, so winter is when i do it the most.I milled today at 30 degrees and was still sweating.I mill in the woods which is warmer than out in the open.I like the atmosphere of the woods better too.:)

Latest posts

Back